Need help where to install aftermarket fuse box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billpetsch

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 being restored
I'm ready to install my American Autowire harness. I have not installed the new cowl yet. Since the firewall has nothing mounted on it, I don't know where there is a blank space that I can mount the new fusebox. The original fusebox was mounted on the steering column assembly. Can anyone provide either a clear picture on the inside of the firewall under the dash or give me reference points for measuring where there will be a space that won't interfere with anything else on the firewall?

71 mustang inside firewall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cheated and built my own fuse block using 2 6-circuit blocks, a relay, and a Plano bait box. Stuck it under the hood to make it easier to get to.

fusebox3.jpg

Very creative. I've already got the complete new harness with 21 circuit box. It would be easier to just screw to the inside of the firewall. But unless I install everything on the inside, I don't remember where there is a free space I can screw in the box.

Are you replacing the factory HVAC unit? I went with a Classic Auto Air system, and it's quite a bit smaller.

HVAC1.jpg

It might sound a little bass-akwards, but the area on the passenger side above the kick panel is relatively unobstructed and fairly easy to get to. Might not be a bad place for the fuse block.

Nice. I rebuilt the factory ac heater box unit. (now since I spent all that time doing it, too stubborn to throw out). Since I still have the original heater box, I'm not sure is room on the passenger side. I guess I could bolt up the heater box and see what room is left.

My father who did a modular 4.6 conversion on his car used the modular engine fuse box mounted it in the glove box behind the insert.

Back