1971 Mustang 429 CJ-R C6 Japanese Export

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
From what I can tell it has all options which seems to be the case for all Japanese export cars in 1971-1973. Notice the reflective markers on the front fenders which are unique to the Japanese Mustangs. It also has unique Japanese decals, metric 200 kph speedo and additional lights on the rear under the rear bumper.

I have never seen a Japanese mustang before. Do you know if it was actual shipped overseas? Did you get any records from the pervious owner? Great car anyway.

John J

I have never seen a Japanese mustang before. Do you know if it was actual shipped overseas? Did you get any records from the previous owner? Great car anyway.

John J
I have confirmed that the modifications that were done were completed when the cars came off the ship in Japan so it was definitely shipped there. How long it stayed there is the big question.

Working on tracking down the previous owners which is much challenging than it used to be given all the privacy laws.

I wonder if someone one in the military own the car. I know if your where station overseas years ago the government would ship them over cheap. I think there a few members who know more about this then I do.

John J

That's the million dollar question! What I can tell is that every 71-73 Mustang exported to Japan I have found is fully loaded. If it was through the military I'd be surprised if they were all fully loaded or if it was imported by a broker who fully loaded the cars as they were considered premium and price was less of an issue.

Unfortunately I'm in China until December but I think I have some documentation at home which may help me figure out if my car was ordered by someone in the military.

That sounds like a really cool option but in the end it is a call out to align the headlights for a right hand drive market (headlights are aimed towards the shoulder of the road) at the headlamp aim station at the end of line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a Japanese mustang before. Do you know if it was actual shipped overseas? Did you get any records from the pervious owner? Great car anyway.

John J
Attached is the Japanese certification label required to import the vehicle.

1971 mustang 429 japanese mustang engine plate.jpg

I'm not complaining.......

The eBay write up was pretty honest. i picked it up on a whim and didn't expect it to go for the price it did. It's a great driver and everything is there which is pretty unusual. The mileage listed in the eBay auction is also in km not miles so it's actually right around 50,000 miles which I don't think anyone realized and if they did the price doesn't seem to reflect it. Before this auction I had never known mustangs were exported to Japan from 71-73 so that was definitely the icing on the cake. I'm still researching that part of the car to understand exactly what unique features go with that.

It's a perfect cruise night car and I've got a pretty large stash of parts so I can fix many of the small issues at no cost to me.

Just wanted to provide an update on my research into this car:

- I have found 5 1971 Mustang's equipped with J code 429's and C6 transmissions that were exported to Japan

- All are equipped with all options (23ish depending on how you count options)

- So far color breakdown is 2 white (one with ginger interior), 1 yellow, 1 bright blue and 1 grabber green

- All cars are equipped with front spoilers

- All cars are equipped with trunk mats

- All cars are equipped with add on yellow side markers on the front fenders and small round lamps below the rear bumper to comply with local lighting regulations

- All cars are equipped with power antenna's on the rear quarters usually on the drivers side but one has it located on the passenger side. exact location seems to vary from car to car

- Many cars still have the Export plate which was required to import the vehicle into Japan

- Vehicles were exported through Marubeni Motors which is a large importer in Tokyo

- Investigating whether these vehicles were undercoated before delivery as I have confirmed 3 of the cars have undercoating

All of this information has been obtained by visual inspection of cars on the internet and email exchanges with current owners. Tracking down actual Ford documentation is going to be difficult for these cars.

- I have found 5 1971 Mustang's equipped with J code 429's and C6 transmissions that were exported to Japan

- So far color breakdown is 2 white (one with ginger interior), 1 yellow, 1 bright blue and 1 grabber green

- All cars are equipped with add on yellow side markers on the front fenders and small round lamps below the rear bumper to comply with local lighting regulations

- All cars are equipped with power antenna's on the rear quarters usually on the drivers side but one has it located on the passenger side. exact location seems to vary from car to car

- Many cars still have the Export plate which was required to import the vehicle into Japan

- Vehicles were exported through Marubeni Motors which is a large importer in Tokyo

- Investigating whether these vehicles were undercoated before delivery as I have confirmed 3 of the cars have undercoating

All of this information has been obtained by visual inspection of cars on the internet and email exchanges with current owners. Tracking down actual Ford documentation is going to be difficult for these cars.
Have you been able to find out the DSO of the Japanese export cars? Where they all DSO 91 the same as yours?

How and why export DSOs were assigned seems to be a bit of a mystery. I wonder if some patterns could be unearthed through the forum?

Your Marti report indicates that 361 were ordered for DSO 91 in 1971. Do you know if that statistic is for all Mustang production or just Mach 1s?

I know of a 1973 Mach 1 down under that was Japanese export. I am not sure of the DSO of that one. It has a 400 Cleveland but that was probably fitted later.

Have you been able to find out the DSO of the Japanese export cars? Where they all DSO 91 the same as yours?

How and why export DSOs were assigned seems to be a bit of a mystery. I wonder if some patterns could be unearthed through the forum?

Your Marti report indicates that 361 were ordered for DSO 91 in 1971. Do you know if that statistic is for all Mustang production or just Mach 1s?

I know of a 1973 Mach 1 down under that was Japanese export. I am not sure of the DSO of that one. It has a 400 Cleveland but that was probably fitted later.

So far all of the Japanese Mustang's that I have found have a DSO of 91 but realize that many vehicles from Europe also had a DSO of 91 so that doesn't automatically mean it was a Japanese bound Mustang.

I'm not entirely sure if the 361 units is total or just fastbacks. That's one of the problems with the marti report is that the numbers seems to leave a little to interpretation..

If you can PM me with contact info for the owner of the 73 I'd appreciate it so I could follow up with them. I really need more data points which are hard to come by.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not entirely sure if the 361 units is total or just fastbacks. That's one of the problems with the marti report is that the numbers seems to leave a little to interpretation.
The bottom of the blue box states, "For the 1971 Mustang Mach I Sportsroof" so there is your answer - not so vague after all.

Back