351 Cleveland not wanting to start :-(

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky1977

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Mach 1 1972
Hello everybody, I could use some help again. I connected most of the wiring, installed the starter panel and accessory switch. The engine (351 Cleveland 2V) is turning over when pressing the start button. I've got 12Volts on the coil but my poor engine doesn't want to start. At the moment I'm thinking it could be the vacuum system, it's pretty messy. I don't have the "hose-distributor" on my cooling water pump and the hose on the distributor is disconnected. Also the solenoid dist. vacuum is disconnected. How is it powered by the way??? Could this be the reason of the engine not wanting to start?

u say u have 12v on the coil with sw to "on" position.. then u need to look at the dizzy to see why it's not completing the ckt. hit with starting fluid or gas down the carb... that way u have 2 out of 3 needs. i gotta ask whats with all the blue wiring.

also make sure u have 12v at the coil in "start" position of key. u can measure that on the start relay at the "I" post.

as for vacuum, ck the carb and intake manifold for open ports and plug them. u don't need the dizzy vac hooked up to start but plug it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on HOW the cap is wired for the firing order when the dizzy was installed, but the position of the vac can tube looks to be way too far to the right (in picture) to me. It could be retarded way too much. Check #1 cylinder at TDC and verify your firing order. You may need to pull the dizzy and reset it with the can tube more centralized. If nothing else, it looks better! Set your timing up to 14-16 deg initial. If you have fuel and sparks, it should fire up.

I included a picture of my engine showing where the dizzy sits with the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder. This is how I chose to set it up.

More suggestions??

You'll need to see if the distributor and coil is sending a spark to the spark plugs. As Stanglover said, check firing order and timing. The vacuum hoses do not need to be connected, but all vacuum lines should be plugged or capped..

You'll need to see if the distributor and coil is sending a spark to the spark plugs. As Stanglover said, check firing order and timing. The vacuum hoses do not need to be connected, but all vacuum lines should be plugged or capped..
Good point Don.

Thanks guys for the comments. I will give it another go tomorrow. The engine hasn't been running for almost a year now. I bought some starter fluid so perhaps that will help. I sleeved all the wiring to protect them with Techflex... that's why they are blue. I think it looks pretty neat.

Thanks guys for the comments. I will give it another go tomorrow. The engine hasn't been running for almost a year now. I bought some starter fluid so perhaps that will help. I sleeved all the wiring to protect them with Techflex... that's why they are blue. I think it looks pretty neat.
I neat engine ALWAYS scores brownie points when you lift the hood!!

Sooo do all your basic checks first. Does it have fuel at the carb and is it fresh fuel. Fuel filter not plugged or gummed up after a year. Is the carb clean, spray the whole thing with carb cleaner. etc., etc. I'm sure you know the rest...... so fire that puppy up my friend.

PS, I guess you like blue, judging by the script!

Back