My 1972 Q code 4 speed convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
OK. Many of you have heard me talk about my cars but you've never seen them running or have heard about me driving them ANYWHERE.

As many know that's because they have been sitting for WAY TOO LONG.

After some friendly motivation from good friends I am now on the path to at least get the convertible running again! HUGE THANKS to Chuck (c9zx) for his help! His knowledge is invaluable on Fords! Trust me. Just look at his cars! Keep in mind this is just a 'get it running' project - not a restoration (YET). Car is not 100% original but I am working on it! --- A few things I added/changed over the years that will eventually get corrected.

Ok we started out by Chuck getting up early (sorry) and using his nice enclosed car trailer and hauling my car to his house/garage. A very nice garage with a 4-post lift and then a smaller floor lift. NICE! Once there we immediately got busy. Chuck is not one to just goof-off!! We Pulled and replaced the original gas tank with a repro tank I purchased from Don at Ohio Mustang Supply (OMS). I bought the tank and new sending unit. Not exactly the easiest thing I have done but once we got it installed, we flushed out the fuel line and replaced some hoses. The old fuel and inside of old tank was NASTY! Drained the oil then Chuck checked the transmission and 9 inch differential for fluids. Since a lot of time involved just transporting to Chuck's house - we called it a day. Ordered more parts from Don (gas tanks filler nozzle seals, etc.) the next day! THX Don for expediting the shipping! Chuck pulled plugs and wires then turned motor over by hand using a break-over hooked to the crank. It turns!!!! ::thumb::

While removing the old spark plugs, we were moving heater hoses and noticed one of the hoses was loose at the block. The nipple installed (pressed) into the block for one of the heater hoses had disintegrated! Time is not kind to engines! So now we have to clean out and remove the rest of that nipple then clean ID and press a new one into the block. FUN... Chuck likes Miller Beer... :chin: I need to see what a trailer full costs?

Miller High Life Trailer.JPG

Here is a couple of pics. I'll post more later.

20160911_183415 resized.jpg

20160911_084143_resized.jpg

Ray

AWESOME!! :bravo:

'Bout time you got busy on this. :whistling:

Having Chuck, the lift, and some help (again, Chuck) to get you going is a huge motivator. Way ta go, Chuck! ::thumb::

You might consider setting up a 'Go Fund Me' account to get that trailer full of the good stuff for Chuck. rofl

Great start and looks good. A four post lift is a great motivator.

Before reading the whole post I thought the Miller truck was Chuck's nice enclosed car trailer!

Before reading the whole post I thought the Miller truck was Chuck's nice enclosed car trailer!
Yeah,me too!! My first thought was "What? No way!!"

I know Chuck doesn´t fool around but that was way over the top, even for Chuck´s standards. :)

Ok, first: Congrats on getting started. All this time I kept thinking you were just pretending to own a Mustang. ;)

Second: It´s great that Chuck helps you and gets your motivation up and running.

Third: Once you get that truck load of beer gimme a call! :)

Nice! About time you did something other than post on here. LOL Good luck getting her back on the road!

Nice to finally see your cars Ray. I need one of those lifs.
YES YOU DO!!!!

You won't know how you did anything without it!

I recommend one to everyone. Do what you have to do to get one.

The plus >>>> it gives you an extra parking space if you have the ceiling height! If not you can vault your garage ceiling to gain some. There are concessions even to that but hey if you want it bad enough - you'll find a way to make it happen! :p

Ray

Nice to finally see your cars Ray. I need one of those lifs.
YES YOU DO!!!!

You won't know how you did anything without it!

I recommend one to everyone. Do what you have to do to get one.

The plus >>>> it gives you an extra parking space if you have the ceiling height! If not you can vault your garage ceiling to gain some. There are concessions even to that but hey if you want it bad enough - you'll find a way to make it happen! :p

Ray
And now you realize why I kept going on and on and on about the Auto Hobby Shop on base (lifts, the right tools, etc...) ;) :whistling:

At least we've made a start. It will be interesting to see where we are in a couple of weeks. As Ray said, it is not a restoration at this point. Much closer to a resurrection. The trailer of beer gets Ray in the garage and my assistance. Access to my personal bench stock of vintage parts is still to be negotiated.;) I sure hope this turns out well as I'd love to see Ray driving down the street in the car.

Chuck

I know - I was almost starting to think like Mike... that Ray didn't actually own any Mustangs, and maybe was living vicariously through others, or something. LOL

You're a good man, Chuck! Thanks for helping Ray out. :bravo:

That's awesome Ray. Now get in their and get those hands dirty ::thumb::
Hey I think I just heard Ray say EW :whistling: :D

Also Ray you forgot to order the MACH 1 decals

How high are your ceilings Chuck? Trying to see if Dad will invest in one for the garage, plus if I build one I am going to make it high enough for a lift.

How high are your ceilings Chuck? Trying to see if Dad will invest in one for the garage, plus if I build one I am going to make it high enough for a lift.
Based on scale of the pic with the garage door and the cars I would guess he has 9' ceilings. I built mine with 9' as well since that is the highest the city would allow in my neighborhood (damn historic districts). If I had my choice I would go 12' side walls.

The ceiling height is 11" 4". Odd number I know but, it works. I wish it were a full 12 feet. The doors are 8 feet tall. As everyone does, I wish I had more garage space.

Chuck

Ray that is great news. From the time we met back in Mustang for the Grand National and I saw the pictures of your cars I was REALLY hoping you would get 1 of them running. Nothing like having great friends to help things along. You have the right one their with Chuck. Next trip up to OKC for work I will have to plan a weekend to stay over and help you guys turn some wrenches. Great to see any and all progress. Keep us posted.

Back