Price for Roof Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFrance729

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe, 302
1985 Buick Riviera
So as some of you may know, my 73 Coupes roof is swiss cheese and it needs replaced. I'm heading up the Old Dominion Mustang and Camaro in a few weeks and hopefully I can get a good roof there. I wanted to do this job myself after I learned and got experience welding, but I would rather have it done sooner than later and by someone more qualified, being the job that it is.

I'm gonna call a somewhat local well-reviewed body shop tomorrow, and see if I can get a quote, but I wanted to know how much you guys think a job like this might run.

Also, if anyone knows of a real good shop in NC or VA, I'm willing to drive to get the job done right.

You should ask the guys at Old Dominion. They fix cars for sale and have a local shop that does their body work. There's a big Mustang show this weekend there. About two miles from the store. I would think it will cost about $2500-$3500 for the metal work and reassembly. It's as involved as doing a complete floor.

That roof is spot welded in place and it is a pain to remove. My friend that does high end restores was putting a roof on a Camaro when I went by yesterday. The car was in a fire and toasted.

He is located in Hendersonville, N.C. if you want contact I can give but he is expensive and stays covered up.

If you get the roof out of junk yard I would cut the entire top off with the inner reinforcement. The drip rail is a separate piece and to get just the skin off will probably cost more than the bill to put it on. If done correct you can put the inner and outer panels back together at the C pillar and the windshield frame also and never be able to tell. If you could buy just the outer skin then you just grind away the old roof down the drip rail and put the new one in but they don't make coupe roofs at this time.

If no luck at that yard check with Scotty Strickland he probably has one in Oxford, N.C..

I would look the car over real well before taking on this job. I striped a coupe 2 years ago that the roof was rusted out. The A pillars and rear package tray on the inside where all rusted out as well. The the water had to go some where.

After I get the brakes done, hopefully by Friday when I can get the drums back from the shop, I'm gonna finish taking apart the interior so I can see if anything else is rusted or how bad the rust is.

From the little I have seen after taking the driver seat out and lifting the carpet, it looks like it might be in decent shape. The interior itself is pretty much perfect, minus a little surface rust on the seat hardware. I haven't found anywhere that leaks or looks like it had water damage, but I guess I won't truly know until I take it all out.

I know it may not be the best stance to have, but I'm not worried about how much money I put into her for the long haul. I'm interested in the experience I gain from the entire process and building a car I love (which I already do) I have no intentions of ever selling the car except if I'm about to become homeless or some crazy stuff like that.

Besides, if I wanted to sell her in 2073 I'm sure I would get my money back. :D

Back