VERY incorrect Boss 351 striping

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what they look like on a car

I'd love to find a 69 Fastback and drop a Boss 351 in it and put a Boss 429 style scoop and air cleaner and just the Boss 351 Graphic like the Boss 429 graphic.

They even look cheap and homemade. The fonts are not consistent, the numbers & letters not spaced properly, and the thickness of the letters is not consistent from letter to letter.

I think the concept of having the '70 Boss 302-style decals with the BOSS 351 call-out on our cars would've been pretty cool as an alternative to the overdone hockey stripes... but, that's not how things went.

I wonder what they look like on a car
Like a 1970 Boss 302. I can't imagine anyone thinking those are correct.

Chuck

Have to admit with all the info on the 'net it helps folks figure out what is correct if they are willing to spend the time to research.

Ray

Who Thinks Those Are correct?? Now days you can have anything made up. Old friend had some of those made for his fastback. Looked kinda cool and sure got a lot of attention.

I think we as enthusiasts are fine-tuned to notice these things when they're wrong. The average guy having a seen a Hot Wheels car with a similar paint job might think they're actually an option, or maybe, "that's just how Boss 351s are supposed to look."

Add in a dose of, "But I saw it on the Internet, it must be true," and you have all the ingredients for an argument steeped in futility. rofl

Wow this is so awesome information about this Ray! Well I had thought about it. To get some stripes on mine... But I don't think I ever will.. Because I love the way my Car Looks [emoji848][emoji12][emoji8][emoji106] Regards Lars[emoji1087]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

As a non-expert, can someone post pictures of the correct fonts/stripes and compare it to what is being offered so that one (me, actually) can see the differences clearly? Thanks.

Boss 351s don't have a special stripe "logo specific" package like the '70 Boss 302, they use the Hockey Stripes along with special logos and different hood black-out styling. They have a "Boss 351/Mustang" logo on the lower parts of the fenders behind the front wheels along with a "Boss 351" decal in the middle of the trailing edge of the trunk lid, much like the Mach 1s.

recompteatildenbspreboursbkd2013-l-cfbc1b95a905b2fd.jpg

The '70 Boss 302 had a similar stripe/logo as you see in the original post.

mump-1203-001-1970-Boss-302.jpg

IMHO, someone just trying to cash-in on something that never existed, and is counting on people not knowing any better to do so. But - that's just my take.

I have found that many people think a Boss 351 is a Mach 1. The two cars are similar and you have to look close to realize the difference. Not true with the Boss 302. Most everyone picks out the distinctive markings of a Boss 302.

Just seems that Ford didn't really try to make the Boss 351 look that much different. You have to get right up on the car from the back to make out the trunk decal. However, there is no mistaking the noise from the engine as those solid lifters have a sound all their on.

If the car is original you can spot a Boss 351 among Mach 1's by looking for the correct chrome front bumper. I think there might be a few documented variances but for the most part they came with the chrome front bumper and body-colored fender extensions.

1F02R VIN will ident the best.

Ray

I have found that many people think a Boss 351 is a Mach 1. The two cars are similar and you have to look close to realize the difference. Not true with the Boss 302. Most everyone picks out the distinctive markings of a Boss 302.

Just seems that Ford didn't really try to make the Boss 351 look that much different. You have to get right up on the car from the back to make out the trunk decal. However, there is no mistaking the noise from the engine as those solid lifters have a sound all their on.
They did do the Grabber package in 70 with similar stripes without the Boss 302 Call Out

I've seen pictures of some Shelby Boss Mach 1 convertible coupes that needed these decals to complete their 100 point restorations. Some of them I think were even Frank Cone, Ram Air editions with reverse mounted deck spoilers.

I've seen pictures of some Shelby Boss Mach 1 convertible coupes that needed these decals to complete their 100 point restoradtions. Some of them I think were even Frank Cone, Ram Air editions with reverse mounted deck spoilers.
Haha, those one of one backwards factory applied spoilers! Kills me everytime I see a wing on backwards! REALLY?? And these bozos want $36000 far a "100 point resto"? come on. ....

Was looking at a Boss 351 for sale last fall, but I passed on it. Too many things wrong: pop-open rear gas cap, wrong shift stick, decals on the air cleaner lid, engine-specific details missing, and, most worrisome of all, racing seat belts. Had the R code in the VIN, but it just didn't seem right to me. Might have been a real Boss that had been raced, but I had too many memories of being burned on a fake Shelby when I was young and stupid, so I closed my wallet and said good-bye. At least it didn't have these stripes on it!

Back