Apparently Loss of Patience Comes With Age...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
My first play into cars was in 1985 when I graduated engineering school and accepted a great job, one I retired from last year after working country and world wide. Then it was '64 and '68 'vette's. Complete tear downs and rebuilds. At the moment I am installing a Street or Track coil over up front on my '73 Mach 1 and it has been an absolute PITA from the get go. Nothing, I mean nothing is coming apart well. I can do a couple of hours and then need to head into the house and pour a beer. Getting old I guess...

i have actually become more patient working on the old cars as I get older. Part of that is they are no longer my daily drivers so there is less pressure to 'get it done in a weekend'.

I have never been patient or skilled and when you add my inability to keep organized to that mix you know how even basic tasks end in thrown tools! :)

What has been constantly degrading is my patience for people and their bulls*t.

I have left the "get off my lawn" territory behind and entered the "get off my planet" zone!

I have never been patient or skilled and when you add my inability to keep organized to that mix you know how even basic tasks end in thrown tools! :)

What has been constantly degrading is my patience for people and their bulls*t.

I have left the "get off my lawn" territory behind and entered the "get off my planet" zone!
Totally agree with you on the people and BS.

I have no choice but to try to be patient. I have two daughters, 3 and 1. My wife is happy that I started working on cars again as she tells me it helps with my patience.

Patience...

I ordered some parts from one of the big suppliers, including a new heat core. waited six weeks for the order to be shipped out - back order BS... Finally picked it up last week and went to install the heater core, but before doing so, tested for leaks.... well, wouldn't you know it - it had a leak, Great.

Contacted the company and was told that because I picked the parts up in the USA, they would only pay for return shipping of the defective part back to them if I drive across the border and ship it from Buffalo, great again...

Then I was told to reorder and pay upfront for a new core - on line and they will ship it out. Another two week wait... great. When they receive mine back, they will credit my account at that time (hopefully)...

I asked them to test the new unit before shipping, they would not respond...

I decided to purchase a new heater/AC core from another supplier whom I know it will get to me in a few days. Costs increase, but I have been waiting most of the summer to put my heater/AC box back together so I can install and start to get the rest of the front dash area back in...

I will now pay to ship back the defective core back just so I can get some $$ returned to me in this fiasco...

Needles to say I am done with that supplier. $2500 order and this is how they treat you, nice...

Last edited:
Patience...

I ordered some parts from one of the big suppliers, including a new heat core. waited six weeks for the order to be shipped out - back order BS... Finally picked it up last week and went to install the heater core, but before doing so, tested for leaks.... well, wouldn't you know it - had a leak, Great.

Contacted the company and because I picked the parts up in the USA, they would only pay for shipping of the defective part back to them if I drive across the border and ship it from Buffalo, great again...

Then I was told to order and pay upfront for a new one - on line and they will ship it out. Another tewo week wait... When they receive mine back, they will credit my account at that time (hopefully)...

I purchased a new heater/AC core from another supplier whom I know it will get to me in a few days. Costs increase, but I have been waiting most of the summer to put my heater/AC box back together so I can install and start to get the rest of the front dash area back in...

I will now pay to ship back the defective core back just so I can get some $$ returned to me in this fiasco...

Needles to say I am done with that supplier. $2500 order and this is how they treat you, nice...
That sucks and is no way to do business. If you don't mind my asking who was the supplier?

Patience...

I ordered some parts from one of the big suppliers, including a new heat core. waited six weeks for the order to be shipped out - back order BS... Finally picked it up last week and went to install the heater core, but before doing so, tested for leaks.... well, wouldn't you know it - had a leak, Great.

Contacted the company and because I picked the parts up in the USA, they would only pay for shipping of the defective part back to them if I drive across the border and ship it from Buffalo, great again...

Then I was told to order and pay upfront for a new one - on line and they will ship it out. Another tewo week wait... When they receive mine back, they will credit my account at that time (hopefully)...

I purchased a new heater/AC core from another supplier whom I know it will get to me in a few days. Costs increase, but I have been waiting most of the summer to put my heater/AC box back together so I can install and start to get the rest of the front dash area back in...

That sucks and is no way to do business. If you don't mind my asking who was the supplier?
I did not mention them because I don't want to go public and offend some people on this site, been down that road once before, not worth the hassle. I can say that it was not the company that a lot of folks here like to get their parts from, I am sure he would have assisted in a more positive manner.

I am pissed... I spend good money in good faith, I just want parts to be in good shape when they arrive, especially being outside the USA, creates all kinds of logistical problems.

This particular heater core was not even wrapped properly, just some brown paper wrapped around two sides, no damage protection for the coils or fins... I shook my head when I saw that upon opening the large box shipped on a pallet...

I deal with my patience by having several projects at one time. If one gets bogged down I go to another and let it rest. Having to deal with the automotive companies for many years will make you go crazy. I retired early because one customer told me I had to do something. I just told them I did not and retired early. By the way after I was gone the customer found out they were incorrect and what they wanted did not work. The head quality guy wanted 1.100 yes eleven hundred SPC check points on a door aperture, he was crazy could never be capable. Took hours to check on CMM. I have no patience for stupidity for sure. The part now has 5 SPC checks and never had a bad one in like 6 years.

On heater cores I always check them also have had two bad ones out of box. Last year got a NOS one off eBay for 73 vert and yep it had a hole down in the middle of the core not from any damage. I also check air conditioner condenser and evaporator before install. Kid swimming pool or wheel barrow to submerge in.

I just went to local car parts store and got another core and it was good.

Hey I am one of the odd ones I do not like beer just give me a good triple pour 7&7 and I am good to go.

I think we all suffer from greater intolerance of B.S. as we get older - it's just a natural thing. As we get older, we subconsciously realize that time is slipping away, so we're less likely to tolerate B.S. from others who obviously don't care about anything beyond their own visions.

I know as my skills have improved over the years, I am a lot less tolerant of others who don't seem to care or aren't as skilled - which is why I tend to do everything myself (the old "if you want it done right, do it yourself" attitude has certainly gotten all over me). It seems like every time I farm out some task that I think is beyond my skills, patience, or whatever, I wind up looking at the finished result thinking, "Dang... I could've done at least that good - why did I waste all that money letting someone else half-ass it?" Then, I usually wind up going behind that individual and re-doing whatever they did with the better results I was expecting.

Maybe I'm just anal-retentive, OCD, or something. I just know I hate when I do decide to depend on someone else, it rarely comes out meeting my standards (and I'm not a ridiculously high-standards kind of guy, either).

I also know I've been getting a bit frustrated discovering that all the things that used to bend on me not only don't bend as well, they even hurt sometimes... and sometimes for no reason whatsoever. I'm getting older, I realize it, and I'm glad I got the 'hard part' of restoring my Mustang out of the way before I start falling apart from age and mileage.

Hang in there, guys - we're all perfectly normal... or at least what passes for 'normal' when you're dealing with '71-'73 Mustang owners/enthusiasts. rofl

i have actually become more patient working on the old cars as I get older. Part of that is they are no longer my daily drivers so there is less pressure to 'get it done in a weekend'.
Same here; The older i get the more patience i have. No pressure

I take many pics of any project I start. I may intend to get back to it soon but with family obligations that seems to rarely work out. The pics are my assistant and have been a life saver more than once.

Latest posts

Back