Did you ever doubt which 71-73 body style you wanted?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I wonder if any of you guys had a hard time deciding if you wanted a coupe a sportsroof or convertible?

I had a 1972 mach 1 (Q-code) for a short time and looking for another project but like the Mach 1 and convertible since I have never owned one.

Any of you with same dilemma?

I never doubted wanting a Mach 1 until I saw all the cool 'verts on this site. There are lots of awesome coupes as well - I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with any '71-'73, to be honest.

When the Mach 1 was totalled I was looking for another Mach 1 (any sports roof). I test drove a few and then the Vert came up for sale. Done deal. I would love to own another sports roof with a fold down rear seat. I have to admit the coupes have totally grown on me as well.

I finally got a few pictures. Turns out the interior actually is white it just had seat covers on when I looked at it before. I meant to post this in another thread, just didn't realize I had changed it until after I posted this. It's a 1972 with a 351 2v that i'm buying.

20160917_092942.jpg

20160917_093007.jpg

20160917_092956.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I "didn't" want a convertible. I drive my cars year round - no storage queens allowed. Of course I live in Southern AZ so that's not as big a deal as it might seem back East.

My very first was a 1966 Impala Convertible. My Dad restored in for me for my senior year in high school. Loved that car. But this was in upstate New York....way upstate. Summer time it was great but the rest of the year not so much, freezing cold, rainy...etc.

Just the opposite here in AZ. Way too hot to spend much too time with the top down and the heat is tough on the fabric - my son has a convertible and we are on the second top.

I knew I "didn't" want a convertible. I drive my cars year round - no storage queens allowed. Of course I live in Southern AZ so that's not as big a deal as it might seem back East.

My very first was a 1966 Impala Convertible. My Dad restored in for me for my senior year in high school. Loved that car. But this was in upstate New York....way upstate. Summer time it was great but the rest of the year not so much, freezing cold, rainy...etc.

Just the opposite here in AZ. Way too hot to spend much too time with the top down and the heat is tough on the fabric - my son has a convertible and we are on the second top.
I can attest personally to the condition of a convertible after spending the majority of its day to day driven time in the Tucson AZ area. My current '71 BB restoration spent the majority of its driven life in that area. It was moved to the Spokane WA area in the 90's and then put in storage for years until I got it. Hard to believe but it still had its original interior, but it was toast. The top had been changed, and was also toast when I got the car. The original engine was toast, you get the idea... The sun and heat did its worse but overall the car survived because of this relatively dry environment.

The biggest drawback to these cars that are in a year round sun and heat environment is the considerable wear and tear on all parts of the car from being driven year round. As I have experienced first hand restoring a car from this area; you basically start with a rust free body (almost...), then you salvage what moving parts you can, restore others and replace many parts due to their end of service life to the car.

I have had coupes, fast backs and verts; I have what I wanted now: a BB convertible. But, I like them all...

Never liked the 71-73's back in high school.

To me, they were to big and sat low in the back.

But after I had a 89 LX Vert and then a 03 GT, I wanted an old toy and so I started looking. Both of my previous Mustangs had the red/black top combo and I wanted the same with the next one.

Started to see 71-73's with that combo and they grew quickly on me.

That's my story.

My first car was a 73 Grande, so they will always be near the top. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I still prefer the coupe to a sportsroof. But I figured that my current 7173 will only be driven occasionally on dry pavement, so why not a vert? Up here in Seattle, the temperature is not a problem with the top down. If I ever get way too much money I would definitely need a Grande in the fleet. LOL

Scott

I always wanted a Mach1, didn't matter if it was a 71, 72 or 73. I would still like to find a 71-73 vert to restore, not a basket case, something I can drive and fix up. Ryan

About 8 years ago I saw a stunning Mach 1 at a car show and figured I should get one some day when I was older. 4 years later my life changed a lot. It was a shit time but it left me with a lot of money and I figured I'd get myself something nice and started looking at '73 cars (73 is my birth year). All the Mach's were too expensive. I almost bought a Charger but that didn't happen and then I saw the Grande I now own. It came on my path at the right time, never doubted if I made the right choice or not. I love having the car, doing the occasional drive and repair work. And I know that in the future 1 or 2 other cars will be added :)

Back when I was in high school, and they were new, I actually liked the coupes better. The shorter length behind the doors really accentuated that loonnnng hood, and I thought those "wings"/"flying buttresses" extending on either side of the rear window were really cool and exotic looking.

Fast forward 40 years, and many '65-'70 Mustangs later, I had a '73 Mach 1 fall into my lap (the car in my avatar pic). By that time, I much preferred the sportsroof style, so it clicked with me immediately. After all of those previous model, smaller cars, the '73 felt so much more comfortable, rode so much better, and with the Competition Suspension, handled WAY better right out of the box. I was hooked...but man, does the view out of that mail-slot rear window suck!

That car came and went, as most of my Mustangs do, but the '71-'73 body is definitely in my blood now, especially for a guy that drives all of his cars. A couple of years went by, and when I came across my present Grande', I couldn't help but jump on it. All the style and comfort I like, much more reasonable bottom line, and I can SEE out of the rear window, too. It's not as sporty, or perfect, or impressive as some of my previous Mustangs, and I may someday decide to get another Mach, but for now, I'm really enjoying the heck out of my "little" coupe!

Back when I bought my coupe in 2003, I was torn between it and a red Mach 1, both for sale in my area. Chose the coupe. I always liked them for some reason, and it wasn't just because of the better visibility. I love the buttresses and the smaller feel of the cabin. Then again, I've always preferred coupes over fastbacks in any generation of Mustang. I guess I'm just weird ::shrug:: Either way, someone's gotta buy the ugly ducklings, amiright?

Not really as I always liked the 71-73 shape. When I decided to get back into an older car, I decided a convertible it had to be. The only thing I wanted on top of that was a factory fitted 351 4V engine, so it didn't leave a lot of options really. The plan was to keep it 12-18 months, 2 years max then sell it and try something else. Well had the car just over 4 years now and have no desire at all to sell it, plus my wife would kill me as she absolutely loves the car. Hence why she doesn't really care when it comes time to spend money on it or for it.

Back when I bought my coupe in 2003, I was torn between it and a red Mach 1, both for sale in my area. Chose the coupe. I always liked them for some reason, and it wasn't just because of the better visibility. I love the buttresses and the smaller feel of the cabin. Then again, I've always preferred coupes over fastbacks in any generation of Mustang. I guess I'm just weird ::shrug:: Either way, someone's gotta buy the ugly ducklings, amiright?
Hi Blue,

No, i think you're wrong. They are not ugly ducklings IMO, but feature a radical different kind of styling. Done up well, they have great street appeal i reckon. I think with any car, it always comes down to people's perceptions, and we all know how varied they can be in life.

Greg.:)

Back