1972 Sports Roof Options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Z

Reaction score
My Car
1972 SportsRoof, 351 4V CJ, 4 Speed, AC, PS, PDB, Competition Suspension, Folding Rear Seat, Tilt Wheel, Instrumentation Group, Console, Convenience Group, Appearance Protection Group,
[url=https://ibb.co/eBPUOG][img]https://preview.ibb.co/hmjkxb/IMG_2113.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm in the process of purchasing a 1972 Sports Roof, Q code with 4 speed. The car I'm looking appears to be highly optioned and I would like to find all the available options for 1972. A partial list for this car include: A/C, PWR D/B, Competition Suspension, the list goes on..

Do a search for the 1972 Facts Book. Ray a member just posted the 73. That is the book that each dealer got that explained what all the options were and on which models you could get. I have a 73 that has 32 factory installed options and that was not all of them. You can get the $18.00 Marti and it will tell you exactly what your car came with.

I have never seen a car with every option. Which is actually impossible. If you get a 4 speed you cannot have automatic. AM/FM you cannot have an AM/8 Track. Several members have high optioned cars on the forum.

It is not how many options you have it is how much fun it is to own.

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a list of the 72 Mustang Options. You can buy a Marti report for $18 which will show you everything your car had on it when it left the factory.

29vktpc.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info. Yes, I have the Marti Report but it's nice to have the descriptions of what came with the "Convince Group", "Performance Group", "Competition Suspension" are among the options on this car. And yes, the picture by my name is the car I'm going to look at next Saturday in San Jose. It's not a Mach 1, but equipped the way I would have in 72. If this car has been discussed before I'm curious know what the feedback was.

Kevin Z

Since I can't seem to find it on here (maybe discussed on FB?) I do remember many folks being impressed with the car. Some did note the interior had been changed but if it is OK with you and it does seem to be tastefully done - no real foul unless you are going for points in a serious judged show. And even then the car would carry itself because of the overall condition.

Ray

I appreciate the inputs on the car. As a Sports Roof it is 1 of 334 with Q code and 4 speed. I know that I am probably in the minority but I was never crazy about the graphics and wings of the Mach 1. I'd rather have the performance goodies but have the car be a sleeper. This car ticked off all the boxes I needed, Q code fast back, AC, nice interior and in great condition. The 4 speed is a bonus for me. The main purpose of this car is to take the grandkids to car shows and car related events. My other toys all have two seats and I can't have either grandkid ride shotgun for several years and I would have to leave one home! How do I choose??? My grandson will end up with this one, (he's 4 years old), I haven't decided on what the granddaughter (she's only 1) will get.

I fly out to see the car Saturday October 1st in San Jose. If there is anyone in the area who would like to join me to view the car (vintage Mustangs are new to me) send me a PM. What I'm looking for is if there was any major crash damage repair. I'm told the restoration started with a very solid car. Wish me luck! I added a photo to the 1972 Photo Gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you really boil down what you could get on a sportsroof vers a Mach 1 about the only thing is the words Mach1 and the honeycomb tail light panel. According to the facts book you could get the sports interior on a sports roof and not just a Mach 1. So not really much to a Mach 1 package other than words.

I have posted some additional photos of the car and the Marti Report on the 1972 Mustangs photo gallery, look for Kevin Z. I'm flying out to look at the car this weekend in San Jose. Wish me luck!

From the photos looks like a good car. Areas to look into: trunk floor, cowl area under the dash, always floor pans, rear tail light panel. The fastbacks are prone to be backed into things by inexperienced drivers looking through the back window. Good luck with your shopping trip and let us know how it turns out.

Looks like a well optioned rather unique sports roof. Would love to know why the original ordered ordered this way and didn't order the Mach 1. I think it's pretty cool!

Back