71-73 sport wheel covers - 2 versions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351-4v
1971 Boss 351
Does anyone know why two versions were available? I have seen deep dish AND narrow dish versions. Both versions are argent, not black like the 1970.

My 71 Mach with 14" wheels has the deep dish versions. I also have an NOS set of 14" that are deep dish.

On occassion, at Carlisle or a car meet, I have see cars with a narrow dish version. Anyone have any info? I am just plain curious.

There is one for a standard 6 inch wide wheel and one for the 7 inch wide optional wheel

My 73 vert came with them and I have give up on finding a set without curb rash. It is also funny that lots you see for sale have one of the simulated lug nuts broken off where a tire guy thought it was real and twisted it off with air wrench. Would be great if someone reproduced just the stainless outer part the zinc die cast part is easy to find good ones.

I had a guy contact me (through the dealer I got the car from) out of the blue, right after my purchasing the '71 vert. He had seen the car in the article published in the September, 2015 Mustang Monthly magazine. He noted the sport hub caps on the car as it was being pulled out of storage and offered to sell me an NOS set (14x7") for my restoration. This was my very first purchase (of many....) to start the restoration. I knew I would never find another set in this condition, so I bought them and put them away for that day...

004(2).jpg

008.jpg

There is one for a standard 6 inch wide wheel and one for the 7 inch wide optional wheel
Also a much rarer version for the 15 x 7 steel wheels.
Wow, never heard about a 15 inch version

I have a box of these things in the back of the shop.

Personally I don't like them

All the cars out there with Magnum 500's on them...

These hub cap variations have actually grown on me over the years. I think the cars look cool with them. Even the standard hub cap, on certain cars like a vert. or coup, but not the Fastback...

In any event, they will be on my car...

Last edited:
Pastel Blue, I'm with you on the Magnum's. The Magnum is a great looking wheel, but gives the appearance of being the only wheel available for Mustang's if you count em' at a car show. Of course in the 70's the Cragar SS and Keystone rims were king, so it's a wonder any of the wheel covers and trim rings/hub caps survived after being "Tossed" in favor of the "Mag Wheel of the Day". But I am not without guilt. I bought a set of 15" Magnums for Money Pit #2 (Which is factory equipped with 15x7 steel rims) while still available from Ford so I would have a set "Just in case".

Pastel Blue, I'm with you on the Magnum's. The Magnum is a great looking wheel, but gives the appearance of being the only wheel available for Mustang's if you count em' at a car show. Of course in the 70's the Cragar SS and Keystone rims were king, so it's a wonder any of the wheel covers and trim rings/hub caps survived after being "Tossed" in favor of the "Mag Wheel of the Day". But I am not without guilt. I bought a set of 15" Magnums for Money Pit #2 (Which is factory equipped with 15x7 steel rims) while still available from Ford so I would have a set "Just in case".
I love the Magnums also, may buy a 14" set for other then show duty...

These hub cap variations have actually grown on me over the years. I think the cars look cool with them. Even the standard hub cap, on certain cars like a vert. or coup, but not the Fastback...

Didn't mean to tic you [ or anyone else ] off , they just don't do it for me.

Didn't mean to tic you [ or anyone else ] off , they just don't do it for me.
All good... I appreciate the honest candor, that's what makes these conversations interesting for all. My response was to do with all the cars that now have Magnums, but originally came with caps; I should have been more clear....

Yes, was having tire changed recently, good thing I was helicopter mode as I stopped the young man from taking air wrench to my hubcap. ::thumb::

My 73 vert came with them and I have give up on finding a set without curb rash. It is also funny that lots you see for sale have one of the simulated lug nuts broken off where a tire guy thought it was real and twisted it off with air wrench. Would be great if someone reproduced just the stainless outer part the zinc die cast part is easy to find good ones.

I have these on my Boss, it was the way it was ordered so the previous owner found a NOS set. I also have a set of the Magnum 500 with radials but haven't put those on yet. The previous owner did tell me to always remove the wheel covers if I took it to a shop for work so that they didn't ruin one.

My brother may have a set. Which ones do you need?

Back