August 13th flooding in southeast Louisiana

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 convertible:
originally an F-code, automatic drivetrain converted to Q-code, 4spd. Many additional mods to interior (late model leather) and exterior (custom silver mist metallic polar white) . Badged as a "Boss 351" clone.
1973 convertible:
all in original condition and driveable. Everthing is functional with the exception of the heater and ac.
Well I was one of the many thousands of unfortunate people to get flooded by heavy rains on August 12 through 14. The waters crested at my home at 1 pm Saturday August 13. My home was built high enough to where it did not get water however the garage was flooded 22 inches. My '72 convertible was flooded to the bottom of the dash. My '73 convertible was nearby and flooded to the top of the dash. I was insured by Hagerty Insurance for stated values on each car. They paid my claim and picked the cars up. If anyone has an interest in the cars for parts, they are now located at Coparts in Greenwell Springs, Louisiana. I am sure they will go up for auction as salvage.

72_zps1iyllnsv.jpg

MVC-871S_zpsubbyv2iz.jpg

IMG_0184_zpsddignwr0.jpg

IMG_0186_zpsvygt1g5f.jpg

The interiors were covered in silt from the muddy waters. The engine was totally submerged on the blue '73 however the white '72 was not. I believe the motor is fine in the '72. It is a Q-code 4 bolt main '73 block with 30 over forged pistons, '70 closed chamber 4V heads, '82 motorsports factory hydraulic cam ground to Boss 351 specs, Torker intake with 600 cfm square bowl Holley. The car has well less than 5000 miles since the 2004 restoration. The motor would probably worth the cost of salvage. There are many more good and hard to find oem parts on the car. The '73 was an all original car waiting to be restored.

Very sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope your agreed value with Hagerty made you whole.

Are you going to replace them?
I am 63 and do not have the strength and energy to do another car. Fully retired now! LOL!

Oh Know!!! Sorry to here of your loss. Glad your house is fine.
Yes I was fortunate. There were more than 6500 homes flooded just in my parish (county). It appears that there will be more than 70,000 homes flooded in total in southeast Louisiana. There are many people living in their homes gutted of sheetrock below the water line, no furniture and just essentials to make do while rebuilding. My brother who lives 7 miles east of me lost both his vehicles, all of his furniture and possessions, and took 36 inches of flood water in his home.

Within a mile from where I live, it was recorded that we received 31 plus inches of rain in a 72 hour period. The entire area of the state experienced 18 to 32 inches of rain. It is being described as a "no name", 1 thousand year freak rain/flood event with no winds. We are calling it "The Great Flood Of 2016". I have fared better during hurricanes. All this did not make much national news only because it was a "no name" storm. So far it will be the fourth most costly flooding event in the history of this nation.

Sorry to hear about your loss of the Mustangs. I'm glad you survived OK. Sounds like Hagerty treated you well.
I highly recommend Hagerty. I was with them for more than 12 years. There was no hassle for settling the claims on the two cars.

Very sorry to hear about all your loss with the flooding. That's heartbreaking and would be very hard to deal with.

Getting compensated on the two Mustangs helps of course, but still doesn't take away the pain of what you have gone through.

My full sympathy Sir, and i hope you and family get back to normal as soon as possible.

Greg.:)

Glad the house is OK

Sorry about the cars

I know you had a lot of time , effort and nice parts in the 72

Sorry to hear about this. I spent this past weekend sandbagging one of my commercial buildings downtown Cedar Rapids and then helping my neighbors out. River is projected to crest tomorrow at 23' or 12' above flood stage. This will be the second highest crest on record with the highest being 31' in 2008, which devastated the city. Luckily my personal residence is far enough from the river but many are not.

Bummer, but glad Hagerty took care of you. I have had them for over 20 years and they were perfect with the one small claim I had.

My cousin and her husband live in Denham Springs, another of the hard hit LA communities. Their house only flooded into the garage as well, with minimal damage, but the houses across the street were not so lucky. The whole neighborhood was evac'd by by boat then Blackhawk as the waters just kept rising.

It has been said very well by other posters but I wanted to say I am very sorry for the losses.

But excellent news that you and your family and your home and possessions were saved.

Ray

Very sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope your agreed value with Hagerty made you whole.

Are you going to replace them?
I decided to take the insurance settlement and traded in a 2011 F150 King Ranch to buy this new 2017 GT Premium convertible. It is definitely a pleasure to drive.  Countless bells and whistles in it. I bought it in Dallas last week. 

image hosting

Back