EPOXY PAINTING QUESTION

aypsears

Hi I am in the process of replacing a ton of sheet metal in the back. Before I install all the new metal, I would like to sand blast and top coat the rusted areas behind the quarter panel. ( was thinking Eastwood epoxy primer after sand blasting or any other products). Any recommendations concerning primers or paints? If I use epoxy primer do I need to top that with a sealer. once the quarter is on I will not have no access to the area. Finally I would like to get this finished as soon as possible I live in CT cooler temps. outside means no painting very soon. One more thing I am using the entire rear clip on another car. I just prepping everything before the switch. Thanks Aypsears

1096984680_GENERALPICTUREOFGREENCAR(25).thumb.JPG.3cf5e21cbe2d4ca1bc1cb21eeda72cc4.JPG

I would epoxy primer after blasting. Make sure to get it good a clean from blast residue and then epoxy prime. I would then sand those areas to be welded too and recoat with weld thru primer. This will give you very good protection for the areas affected by welding heat. Not a body guy, but practices I have used in this situation.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

I would epoxy primer after blasting. Make sure to get it good a clean from blast residue and then epoxy prime. I would then sand those areas to be welded too and recoat with weld thru primer. This will give you very good protection for the areas affected by welding heat. Not a body guy, but practices I have used in this situation.

+1, epoxy primer adheres well to bare metal

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

aypsears,

+2 with responses. I would, after the epoxy paint cures, while the areas are open, apply spray Lizard skin in strategic areas for sound insulation. Here is some information concerning Epoxy primer from Hemming's.

Excerpt from http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2010/01/The-Epoxy-Advantage/2603041.html

Epoxy has several distinct advantages over standard primers. The main benefit is that epoxy is non-porous when cured, thus it is not permeable, which means that it won't soak up moisture like conventional primers and primer sealers do. Because it's waterproof, its excellent corrosion resistant properties make it the only base primer to use, especially if you reside in a damp climate.

The other advantage is epoxy's optimal adhesion abilities. Its chemical makeup provides excellent adhesion to the bare metal surface below, making it the ideal base coat for all the necessary primers, sealers and topcoats to follow, as well as any body filler.

Thanks

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

We are working on a 64 Galaxie 500. It was blasted and before they did the epoxy coating the car was baked to be sure all moisture was removed. I wish we had done this on the Mach but we learn as we go

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/ezgallery.php?action=myimages&u=3961]My Mach[/button] [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=3961]Check out My Garage[/button]

You must sand the epoxy primer prior to painting if it's been sitting more than 30 days.. I use 180 grit, then re prime the areas to be painted.. The primer should flow very well at that point, then base coat, clear coat.. With base coat, use just enough paint to cover, the 2 or 3 coats of clear.. Wet sand and buff if you prefer, after the clear has cured.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.