Am I missing something?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasquatch20

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible 351c 2V, factory ac,and power windows
I noticed the other day that I can see the inside of the car just below where the convertible top sits, above the rear quarter windows. I checked both sides and they are the same. I'm wondering if that's how it was made, or if there should be some weatherstripping get or something there to seal it better? The top comes down around the outside of the gap so rain shouldn't go inside, but I would imagine if it were washed water would get inside (I don't have any plans to wash it unless carefully by hand after reading about the places water can wind up, but think it odd it would be designed that way). I'll try to get a picture next time I'm down where the car is kept but am hoping someone knows what I'm talking about.

Your car should seal up all along the side where the window edges meet the top. There are rubber seals there that should meet the glass. Terrible wind noise if not sealed. There are adjustments to the top and to the windows themselves. There are stops for the windows might need to move them. You can tilt the window differently also.

Probably your rubber seals are old and dry also. When I leave my verts parked I roll the windows down slightly to keep the window off the rubber to keep from crushing it in permanent shape.

You are correct in not washing your car with a hose or car wash. There is no reason to push that water inside the doors, around the tail light gaskets, into the cowl and into places to feed the rust. Unless you have been to a mud bog race no reason to every put running water onto your car. Does lots of damage. The only coated steel on these cars were the rocker boxes so everything rusts. They were not dipped into a vat of primer so raw steel is everywhere waiting for some water to feed the rust.

The window seals against the top, it's just above that where I see the gap, between the top frame and the top itself. I don't see it looking straight at it, but if I crouch down and look up at the top there's a decent sized gap on both sides. This is my first experience with a convertible so I'm unsure if it's normal or not.

Your car should seal up all along the side where the window edges meet the top. There are rubber seals there that should meet the glass. Terrible wind noise if not sealed. There are adjustments to the top and to the windows themselves. There are stops for the windows might need to move them. You can tilt the window differently also.

Probably your rubber seals are old and dry also. When I leave my verts parked I roll the windows down slightly to keep the window off the rubber to keep from crushing it in permanent shape.

You are correct in not washing your car with a hose or car wash. There is no reason to push that water inside the doors, around the tail light gaskets, into the cowl and into places to feed the rust. Unless you have been to a mud bog race no reason to every put running water onto your car. Does lots of damage. The only coated steel on these cars were the rocker boxes so everything rusts. They were not dipped into a vat of primer so raw steel is everywhere waiting for some water to feed the rust.

Last edited:
I got some pictures of the gap I'm talking about. Any ideas if there should be anything there, or did it come from the factory with this gap?

20161008_183748.jpg

20161008_183730.jpg

The gap between the top and the frame, where you can see the back window through it if you look carefully.

Here is an original 73 it seals pretty close

Your top looks different - I have never seen one like that

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing it to these pictures makes me think the top should come down a bit farther and cover the frame there, which would seal it a lot better. Is there a way to adjust the positioning of the top (I think it just needs to go forward a tiny bit to line up right)?

I don't recall ever seeing that metal brace in a sewn pocket like you have in your picture,

Is that part of the top or something added there

It's part of the frame for the top. The cable runs on the inside of it. I snapped a picture of it from below with the door open so you can see it. I think the top itself (not the frame but the fabric part) needs to be pulled forward about an inch.

14760368591691663677503.jpg

14760369646901035237554.jpg

Comparing the seam on mine to the 73 posted earlier in the thread, there's definitely a difference. It seems like it needs to go almost to the edge of the trim and mine stops short. I found a link to the Fords Unlimited site on here that tells how to adjust the frame, but I don't remember seeing anything about adjusting the top itself.

20161009_120352.jpg

Sas-

I posted a instruction guide on top adjustments- http://www.fordsunlimited.com/fords_convertible.htm. If that doesn't work search for "Top Adjustment" in the Convertible forum.

In addition to your top adjustments, you also have the window adjustments. As David mentioned earlier, it could be that the window stop needs to be adjusted to allow the window to engage the top weather strip.

Good Luck- and keep us posted!

Butch

Last edited by a moderator:
Back