Don't make the same mistake as i did

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I have been taking plenty of pictures since owning my Mustang. With each repair i have documented the before and after with pictures. I stored all my pictures on the laptop without backing them up on a memory stick. I spilled a mug of hot tea on the laptop and now the laptop is busted and all my pictures are gone. Make sure you back up your pictures

yeah the hard drive is pretty well sealed. Unless the tea caused a serious shock to the electronics your pictures are probably available.

That being said. hard drives do crash. Back up anything you want to keep.

Agreed - pull the hard drive and hook it up to an adapter. You can find info online on the differences in the hard drives types. If it's a fairly new laptop, you'll most likely have a SATA drive. Adapters are available online everywhere, bought mine from Amazon.

I back up all my pictures to several cloud services - Google Photos, OneDrive, Dropbox etc. Most are free within a certain GB limit.

Your laptop may not be damaged beyond repair, either. Disconnect it and let it completely dry out, then try it again. If you use sugar and/or cream in your tea this probably won't work, though. Get some electronic component cleaner, disconnect the laptop and place it so it will drain, spray it very well, getting it between all of the keys, let it thoroughly dry, try it again. If it still doesn't work you'll have to decide if it's worth having it repaired or more cost effective to buy a new one and transfer data from your old hard drive.

It's easy enough getting a laptop apart, getting it back together is a different story, hard to get everything arranged so the case goes back together.

More importantly, back everything up at regular intervals. I do so at the first weekend of each month. Store the external hard drive (your backup device) away from your computer; best in another building if you can.

I do NOT trust cloud backups...never will.

And backups on site are not sufficient if your house burns.

Backblaze will back up your PC offsite for $5/ month.

If there is an issue they will send you a hard drive to restore from.

Provided the hard drive didn't get damaged you should be able to remove the hard drive from the laptop. Then get a hard drive adapter to access it from another PC via the USB port.

Check YouTube for video on how to do this.
:D Went to the local PC store and purchased a "Caddy". stripped the laptop out and put the hard drive into the caddy and to my great surprise the hard drive was undamaged and i got all my stuff off the drive.

The hard drive is now a external hard drive and my back up external drive for all my important pics, music and documents after re-formatting from NTFS to Exfat(new fat 32 format for external drives)

Thank You to everyone for your help

Back