Mach 1 rear fidreglass quarter trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
When I bought my car a set of these were in the trunk. They seem very flimsy and cheap but OEM's are expensive if you can find them and still usable.

I am wondering if these could be used as a backing for an upholsterer to pad and cover??

Has anyone done this?

US$ cost?

Has anyone used just the fiberglass shells as is?

Thanks

Wade

I installed a set of the repro plastic interior quarter panels in my Mach 1 last year. They have no mounting holes pre-drilled so you have to figure that out which adds to the fun installing them! (do a test fit before painting if reqd). They don't look as solid as the originals and the grain/texture is different. The car is not "concourse" correct but installed they look good. I wanted to use the original panels in another car and these were a good set for that. I have heard a few comments from others in the past regarding quality of the repros and for the most part I would agree with them. But personally I was happy with the result of the installed repros. If you want your car to look "concourse" these will be no good.

My 72 convertible when I got it had leather upholstered over the quarter panels I hated the look IMHO. I ripped the leather off and found the original panels were in "Swiss cheese" condition. I took the time to restore these panels (hours of work) but they look good. I applied a texture paint so they don't look original anyway. But then again only another fussy Mustang owner would notice the difference! (also the same for the repro plastic panels)

I'll try and find some photos. If I could get my hands on a good original set I would go for these every time but easier said than done. You could use the repros to cover over if you like that look definitely. Personal preference really and it's your car.

Back