1971 MGB Craiglist - SunbeamTiger Killer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can well imagine that it would be fun to drive.

I always liked the MGs, especially the TDs and TFs.
Yeah fun to drive. However its like owning a toy or miniature car in comparison to U.S cars of the same era. British engineering of the time was not exactly up to American standards. The Triumph Stag is probably the best example of a typical POS British made car

There's one of those cruising around San Angelo - Sunbeam Tiger with a 5.0 conversion. Even when with the '87 GT turbine rims as well. VERY cool! ::thumb::

Theres a Lucas factory close to where i live and you can get concourse parts very very easily here in the U.K
How can one find it when all of the lights are out at the plant?lollerz

Still not nearly as cool as a tiger.
I agree, but I'm kinda partial.

And, it's likely the only Lucas equipped vintage vehicle on the plant that may have all 4 (?) original fuses in place. No kidding. :)

b987923f-e4d3-4de3-9fec-f5cac986e6a6_zpswygbjcfw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a 69 MGB for many years. It was a lot of fun to drive. It had the 4 speed Trans but also had the electric overdrive that worked in 3rd and 4th gear so it effectively had 6 different ranges. I still have a 60 MGA that is a failed restoration for me.

Eric, that's a VERY cool car with some really neat "silent" mods done to it!

It (hopefully) may be an Alger - a converted Alpine. It has MkII headlight rings, but MkIA grill and interior. Seats appear to be from the Fox car, have a very OE Tiger upholstery pattern, and would have to be much nicer to use than the original lawn chairs. The wheel fitment is noteworthy, too. Stock Tigers have a HUGE track difference front to rear, where the rear is much narrower making over the counter wheel fitment a total nightmare especially back in the day. Stock wheels are tiny 13x5's with a 4" offset, LOL. There's properly offset 14x6 Panasports with 195/60 Dunlops on the green car, tires fitting perfectly flush with the fender, and they still just barely touch the RF sheetmetal (only when turning while backing up - I assume bushing/control arm flex). Wheel fitment to get "the look" on our '71-73's is a walk in the park compared to these suckers.

Curiosity is going to kill me now! Gotta see how my 17x8/17x9 staggered Fox Saleen replicas look on it :)

Wonky as they are, any of that era Brit car would probably be cool 5.0 swap candidates. Back before we were of legal drinking age, a buddy of mine had a stock TR4 that we'd cruise both cars to different places with. Even though his car looked good, he hated having the farty Farmall 4 banger bucket of bolts sound compared to the Ford V8 music.

I have to quit reading this thread, it's making me want a 302 powered TR-4 again. I need to resist this insane desire;). Chuck

I agree, but I'm kinda partial.

And, it's likely the only Lucas equipped vintage vehicle on the plant that may have all 4 (?) original fuses in place. No kidding. :)

Weren't 3 of those fuses spares? ;-)

The "Prince of Darkness" lived in my 750 Norton Commando.

I think I pushed that bike more than I rode it.

Bru

Back