Engine Bay Detailing - 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Apparently, recent shots of my engine bay were well received and a request was made for me to expand on what was done, materials used etc. So here goes!

Brief history: The car was purchased in LA California in 2008. It had only been re-painted once and other than some dress-ups, it was very original and rust free. The engine had never been out and other than the usual replacement of hoses, plug wires and the like, it was untouched. Picture #1

In September 2012, an engine rebuild was needed. Main bearings were shot. While out, the engine bay was tackled for the first time. There was zero rust other than minor surface crud and a very easy scuff down and prep. The entire front end was stripped to the frame. No other way to do it properly and all the inner and outer apron surface joints re-sealed and painted. Black Rocker-Guard was used on the outer apron surface (inner wheel wells) and has proved very durable. The bay itself was gun painted with BSAF single stage black with 35% flattener to give a near perfect original looking sheen. Various other rattle can paints were used to detail other parts. The engine itself was painted with Plasticote Ford Dark Blue. Picture #2 The camera does not really show the color well.

Moving on to December 2013, the entire car was stripped and repainted in it's original Light Pewter, code V. A couple of minor mishaps and the repairs did not look that good, so off to the body shop it went.

The bay was not touched at this time, but some over spray got on the black from the underside during painting. Shortly after, the voltage regulator failed and the new battery puked acid all over the engine and bay. With the use of baking soda to neutralize the acid, a whitish film could not be removed and looked like crap.

At the end of the 2015 season, I pulled the engine again because it was using lots of oil and it just didn't sound right. Turned out the cam and lifters were shot for #1 cylinder as well as all the valve stem seals. Not going to expand on the engine at this time, but it gave me the opportunity to re-do the entire engine compartment. I added a power brake booster and rebuilt the P/S box as well as new heavier anti-sway bars back and front.

This time I did not pull the fenders or front valance, but almost everything else was removed and refinished. Every bolt was replaced with the appropriate finish ( at least where possible).

Eastwood paints were chosen this time for most of the job. For the bulk of the engine bay, Eastwood's 2K Ceramic underhood black, #14147Z was used and has proven to be very robust. It does have some texture, but it cleans up well and looks to be as near correct sheen as possible.

For the chassis frame and related parts, Eastwood #10025Z Satin Chassis Black worked well. 11175Z Extreme Satin Black is also available and is more durable.

On the engine, Dupliclolor 1606 Ford Dark Blue was chosen as it is a bit darker than the Plasticote and to me, looked more as it should. In a previous post, I mentioned that NPD offer a rattle can paint AP-EB that is claimed to be an exact match. As Duplicolor is more easily available to me, I opted for that. It's not a concours car, but looking right, if not perfect, is important. The exhaust manifolds were brush painted with Eastwood High Temp Factory Grey #10365Z. For other engine bits and pieces a general purpose high temp semi-gloss was used and for parts that are Cadmium plated, Eastwood 10022Z looked good. The shock tower braces, hood latch bracket and the headlight bucket vertical supports were painted with NPD's Slop Grey.

Other than that and careful replacing of parts, there you have it.

I go to many car shows where people have spent big bucks on outside paint, spit and polish, but fail to do the engine bay correctly. What a let down!! A good engine bay detailing job wins trophies. I have 3 in the last two summers to prove it.

Not to pick on anyone's cars on the forum, but I do see quite a few that could use a bit of help. In that regard, I hope some of this will be useful.

Geoff.

EDIT: Ok, so it put the pictures in reverse order. Haven't figured out this yet!

Also see my last post , engine paint color, P4, from sgtjd in the engine section.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks fantastic! I agree that a clean and detailed engine wins a lot of trophies!

Couple questions for you if you don't mind:

- what did you use to paint the hood hinges?

- what about the upper shock mounts?

- hood latch?

Thanks for sharing your great results!

Couple Questions here too.

1) did you make a carburetor change too? In one shot the PCV hose goes to the front of the carb, where the other shots show it going to the rear.

2) Where did you get the original style Power Steering hose? I have found nothing but incorrect aftermarket crap for mine.

Thanks!

kcmash

That looks fantastic! I agree that a clean and detailed engine wins a lot of trophies!

- hood latch?

Thanks for your very valid questions. I should have thought about those areas.

The hood hinges are NOT painted as per factory. Nor are the shock mounts. They were sand blasted, cleaned then I used a matte clear coat, which I think was Duplicolor, I can check if needed.

The hood latch was originally cadmium plated. Can't get that done here, so I used the Eastwood silver Cad #10022Z. I also used it for the air cleaner vacuum motor. The paint is a bit darker than regular silver paint.

One other item not mentioned is the engine code sticker. These are not reproduced for my, and many other, engine. I had a local graphics company make it using a repo 351 Boss sticker that is available as a guide. The one on my friends car pictured below in another reply, was also made up.

Geoff.

Thanks for sharing Geoff,

The engine and the engine bay have come up very well. Good of you to pass on all your experiences and tech help.::thumb::

Greg.:)
Thanks also Greg. I wish MY photo's showed the exact color better. Lighting plays tricks sometimes. Pictures others posted of Duplicolor 1606 in the post "engine paint color" show it to more accurately. Personally, I was not impressed with the picture of the Por color, but that too may not accurate due to lighting.

Geoff.

Couple Questions here too.

1) did you make a carburetor change too? In one shot the PCV hose goes to the front of the carb, where the other shots show it going to the rear.

2) Where did you get the original style Power Steering hose? I have found nothing but incorrect aftermarket crap for mine.

Thanks!

kcmash
Very observant!!

Yes, I did change the Carburetor. The earlier one was a custom Holley 650 that had the PVC port in the rear. The new one is a Holley Street Avenger 670 and that has the PVC port in the front. I have been meaning to run a longer hose around the back to make it look better. Just another thing on the "to-do" list!

The aftermarket PS hose was from NPD. It was for 71 only. However, the foam insulation is a bit too short to be totally correct. I have a picture (attached) of a friend's car that shows a longer foam insulator. I don't know where he got that one from, but I can likely find out.

Thanks for the questions,

Geoff.

Some more pictures of the original engine bay with the engine out prior to the first repaint. Note the Factory runs in the paint on the shock towers. I did not remove them completely for originality. My choice! I included these as an afterthought to show where it came from to where it is today.

Engine bay looks really good!

One comment though.

I didnt think there was a valve cover engine decal for the 71 351 4V. I only see decals for the 71 Boss 351 or 429 CJ/SCJ.

The K608 decal appears to be for a 70.

Engine bay looks really good!

One comment though.

I didnt think there was a valve cover engine decal for the 71 351 4V. I only see decals for the 71 Boss 351 or 429 CJ/SCJ.

The K608 decal appears to be for a 70.
There was a decal, but Jim Osborn has not reproduced it and many others. I questioned that with them some time ago and was told that "if they don't have an actual original sample and permission, then they can't reproduce it" Legal stuff and all!

On the left valve cover, there was the remains of a sticker in the position shown. From that evidence, there was a sticker there. The K613J was taken off the aluminum engine tag which I still have. '71 351C 4V "M" code, manual trans. 608 was for a '70 "M" code, 351C 4v manual trans. In my case, according to Kevin Marti's Tag Book, the "J" suffix is based on a 3 year engine cycle for factory use. I'm not going further into that here though. The Tag Book 65-73 is a good book to have. It can be bought at NPD if I remember.

- hood latch?

I believe this pieces were originally all phosphate and oil... have to check to be sure as I addressed this a number of months ago on my car. There is tutorials on line to replicate this process. I believe Brian on this site has gone through this for his restoration and can chime in as well. There are a few spray can applications that work well and saves from having to try and maintain the phosphate process... if you are going thoroughbred restoration, spray bombs Are out...

- hood latch?

I believe this pieces were originally all phosphate and oil... have to check to be sure as I addressed this a number of months ago on my car. There is tutorials on line to replicate this process. I believe Brian on this site has gone through this for his restoration and can chime in as well. There are a few spray can applications that work well and saves from having to try and maintain the phosphate process... if you are going thoroughbred restoration, spray bombs Are out...
IF I were doing a concours restoration, then parts that were Cad plated or phosphate and oil would be, but getting that done is easier said than done. I'm not going through that insanity while just wanting a nice clean driver to enjoy and not have some "judge" pick it apart. 99% of people looking at this car have no idea what's right or wrong. They like it and that's what counts in my view.

I don't feel like shelling out 60 bucks for a repo vac motor that is questionable as to its calibration and therefore, function.

As for the hood hinges and shock caps, there was no evidence that they were treated with any form of rust control. This car was basically a time capsule in its condition. I do have somewhere in my research, evidence that these parts were raw steel. I'll need to do some searching, my folder is getting pretty thick! My hinges and shock caps definitely did not have any of the blackish finish on them that phosphate and oil would leave. They were just slightly surface rusted.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what an individual wants and can afford for his car.

Sorry if I'm kicking back a bit as I know how you want your very rare car to be as correct as possible and that's your choice. Not everyone can afford that luxury.

Geoff.

Geoff,

I am quite satisfied with your responses. Everyone's goal is different and how you get there is up to you.

I would be very proud of what you have done!

- hood latch?

IF I were doing a concours restoration, then parts that were Cad plated or phosphate and oil would be, but getting that done is easier said than done. I'm not going through that insanity while just wanting a nice clean driver to enjoy and not have some "judge" pick it apart. 99% of people looking at this car have no idea what's right or wrong. They like it and that's what counts in my view.

I don't feel like shelling out 60 bucks for a repo vac motor that is questionable as to its calibration and therefore, function.

As for the hood hinges and shock caps, there was no evidence that they were treated with any form of rust control. This car was basically a time capsule in its condition. I do have somewhere in my research, evidence that these parts were raw steel. I'll need to do some searching, my folder is getting pretty thick! My hinges and shock caps definitely did not have any of the blackish finish on them that phosphate and oil would leave. They were just slightly surface rusted.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what an individual wants and can afford for his car.

Sorry if I'm kicking back a bit as I know how you want your very rare car to be as correct as possible and that's your choice. Not everyone can afford that luxury.

Geoff.
Was meant as a statement of fact, based on extensive research by many knowledgable people over the years... nothing to do with my car or my restoration process and I don't think you should try to bring that into this scenario. A statement was made above that some on the board may not agree with and some will try to put additionalt information out there for everyone to consider, when reading these posts. These three components have been a bone of contention amongst restorers for years as to what was done at the factory originally. I can assure you that the consensus amongst recognized restoration experts was that they were phosphate and oil treated initially. Kick away...

Last edited:
Geoff, great job on the engine bay and sharing your process and experience with others. I can only agree how much Eastwood products has emptied my bank account as well. They have good products and stand behind them. I did go a different direction on my hood hinge and shock mounts. As I was going concourse I did do the phosphate and oil route. The phosphate solution is available through various websites. The trick is finding a large enough container to fit a hood hinge in. I also removed the springs from the hinge as they take the solution at a different rate and get really black if left in to long. Some guys heat the solution while doing it over a camp stove. I used boiling hot water in my dilution and I am happy with the results. I did use a glass frost paint to topcoat it for long term protection as the phosphate will surface rust over time. Here are my parts as they appear. With a very nicely done regular driver, I think your process is a great idea and should offer you long term good protection.

The last photo is of an untouched less than 200 mile original 73 hinge.

1972 9.jpg

IMG_0334.JPG

windshield support.jpg

Geoff.
Was meant as a statement of fact, based on extensive research by many knowledgable people over the years... nothing to do with my car or my restoration process and I don't think you should try to bring that into this scenario. A statement was made above that some on the board may not agree with and some will try to put additionalt information out there for everyone to consider, when reading these posts. These three components have been a bone of contention amongst restorers for years as to what was done at the factory originally. I can assure you that the consensus amongst recognized restoration experts was that they were phosphate and oil treated initially. Kick away...
My apologies. I took it the wrong way and saw red I guess. Now I've cooled down a bit and reread your comment, I realized what you were trying to get across. Perhaps it comes from my misunderstanding what the Phosphate and oil process looks like. I have only seen it as a blackish finish, but the pictures BKDunha posted and his explanation of how he applied it, clearly shows it can look like raw steel. I stand corrected. Having said that, not everyone can have access to this process, so the alternative of using a matte clear will approximate the 'look' of the original.

I hope we're good now,

Geoff.

Geoff, great job on the engine bay and sharing your process and experience with others. I can only agree how much Eastwood products has emptied my bank account as well. They have good products and stand behind them. I did go a different direction on my hood hinge and shock mounts. As I was going concourse I did do the phosphate and oil route. The phosphate solution is available through various websites. The trick is finding a large enough container to fit a hood hinge in. I also removed the springs from the hinge as they take the solution at a different rate and get really black if left in to long. Some guys heat the solution while doing it over a camp stove. I used boiling hot water in my dilution and I am happy with the results. I did use a glass frost paint to topcoat it for long term protection as the phosphate will surface rust over time. Here are my parts as they appear. With a very nicely done regular driver, I think your process is a great idea and should offer you long term good protection.

The last photo is of an untouched less than 200 mile original 73 hinge.
Thank you very much for your pictures and comments. Yes, Eastwood paints are NOT cheap, especially when we (in Ontario Canada) have a 30% + exchange rate plus 13% tax!!

As I mentioned in my reply to Pastel Blue above, I had only seen phosphate and oil as a black finish. The pictures you provided clearly show it needn't be. The last picture looks the same as my car when I bought it. It is easy to think it was not treated from the factory. I do remember reading somewhere, that these parts were untreated raw steel. Let's face it, there is way too much misinformation out there on many things Mustang.

Again in my defense, If a surface can be made to look right without using chemicals, why not.

Thanks again for all comments, positive and negative. It can only help dig out the truth.

Geoff.

Back