Correct steering wheels by year

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
OK

Correct steering wheels seem to be a question that hasn't been explained.

I'll try to offer what I have learned to-date.

For 1971 -1973 there were 4 different versions.

The standard steering wheel had two thin spokes and utilized a large center button with a round mustang tri-bar looking emblem. This wheel was used only as standard equipment for 1971 only in all body types except for the Grande. It received the one described below as the Deluxe Steering wheel. This wheel was also shared by other Ford and Mercury compact lines with of course other respective center emblems. Full-sized car lines never used this steering wheel. From what I understand, 1971 Cougars, Torinos and Cyclones never received this steering wheel.

steering wheel2spoke 1971 standard.jpg

The second one known as the Deluxe 2 spoke, utilized a pad with a woodtone insert and it had a small running horse medallion in the very center of the pad.

71 72 73 steering wheel Deluxe.jpg

For 1972 and 1973 this wheel was the 'standard' option for all car body types. Similar steering wheels were used on other Ford and Mercury cars including full sized cars.

The third one was just another optional variation to the Deluxe 2-spoke was a 1973-only offering of this same wheel but with it leather-wrapped.

1973 Mustang leather wrapped steering wheel.JPG

The fourth and final one offered was the three-spoked rim-blow steering wheel. To further confuse - Ford also referred to this steering wheel as the "Deluxe 3-spoke" in some literature! It was available as an option for all 1971-1973 Mustangs. They used a simulated wood-grain ring with pad color matched to the interior color of the respective car. It utilized a similar center emblem as used on the standard 1771 button type wheel.Other non-compact F/L/M car lines used very similar steering wheels - usually just modifying the actual wheel pad to differentiate from each car.

1971 1972 1973 Mustang optional rim blow steering wheel.jpg

I tried to stick with only the 71-3 Mustangs. I did not want to get too deep with all the other steering wheel combinations offered for every other F/L/M line.

As always if anyone has any different understanding - please offer with your supporting documentation. I am trying to keep learning. THX.

Ray

I have come across a steering wheel that is the same as the deluxe 2 spoke but without the wood grain insert. What year is this one from? It was offered to me(in blue) as a temporary fix to get my car roadworthy(had a horn pad & the horn was working) However, the horn pads were slightly different in size due to not having the wood grain insert. The one without wood grain is slightly bigger and has squarer corners

I have come across a steering wheel that is the same as the deluxe 2 spoke but without the wood grain insert. What year is this one from? It was offered to me(in blue) as a temporary fix to get my car roadworthy(had a horn pad & the horn was working) However, the horn pads were slightly different in size due to not having the wood grain insert. The one without wood grain is slightly bigger and has squarer corners
Without seeing your wheel, my guess - it would be off a Torino, possibly Galaxie 500 or LTD????

This is why I mentioned not going too deep in the other steering wheel offerings... :p

Personally unless you are going for concourse or ultra original I would be happy to run the wheel you mentioned. Some are very similar and it can get very confusing! The info I posted just hits the 'tip of the iceberg'. If you are willing to dig they can get very different for looking so very similar!!!!!!

Ray

Without seeing your wheel, my guess - it would be off a Torino, possibly Galaxie 500 or LTD????

This is why I mentioned not going too deep in the other steering wheel offerings... :p

Personally unless you are going for concourse or ultra original I would be happy to run the wheel you mentioned. Some are very similar and it can get very confusing! The info I posted just hits the 'tip of the iceberg'. If you are willing to dig they can get very different for looking so very similar!!!!!!

Ray
What is amazing to me is the cost of restoring, or building from scratch, a deluxe 3 spoke with rim blow. I have a deluxe 3 spoke from a 71 Cougar on the shelf. Perhaps I should list it on eBay to get it off of my shelf.

Ray,

Here is a picture of an original 73 leather wrapped wheel on my 73 Mach 1. Yes I know I need to clean it after 32 years.
>>>>>

Last edited:
Ray,

Here is a picture of an original 73 leather wrapped wheel on my 73 Mach 1. Yes I know I need to clean it after 32 years.
This would be two separate Options? Deluxe wheel and then leather wrapped?
Only the leather wrapped or 3 spoke rim blow were options in 73.

The deluxe 2 spoke was standard.

Ray

Ray, great thread! Thanks for all the info. I did not know that the standard wheel was available only in 1971. That's why it is so hard to find....
They used to be everywhere as no one wanted them! Luckily I grabbed one for the Boss many years ago!

Ray

Ray, great thread! Thanks for all the info. I did not know that the standard wheel was available only in 1971. That's why it is so hard to find....
They used to be everywhere as no one wanted them! Luckily I grabbed one for the Boss many years ago!

Ray
Ha! Yeah. You and me both!

Personally unless you are going for concourse or ultra original I would be happy to run the wheel you mentioned.

Ray
Unfortunately the wheel is blue where mine is green.

I am going concourse Ray. I am pretty sure this item along with the plastic trim i need is going to be a nightmare to source

Ray,

This would be two separate Options? Deluxe wheel and then leather wrapped?
Like Ray has stated it was a stand alone option. Shows up on window sticker as "Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel for $23.10". Surprisingly you can order a new leather cover from guy that has them on eBay. Just takes some time to stitch it back around the wheel.

Personally unless you are going for concourse or ultra original I would be happy to run the wheel you mentioned.

Ray
Unfortunately the wheel is blue where mine is green.

I am going concourse Ray. I am pretty sure this item along with the plastic trim i need is going to be a nightmare to source
Steve,

There are shops that recast steering wheels. You send them your old one and they only use the metal frame inside the rubber/plastic wheel. I have seen some for 1950 ford with the deluxe 4 spoke steering wheel that were perfect. They sell that model for thousands of dollars when restored. Seems like it is about $500 to get a wheel done. I might check around and see if I can find a link.

I did have one picture of the 1950 Ford wheel that was recast. It has plastic over the rim but it was perfect.

DSC_2290.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back