Slide-bar radios?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
How many of you have installed these retro-looking modern slide-bar radios?

I am contemplating getting one for my car. I have 2 original radios, but their performance is not so good anymore........

Any ideas?

I used to generally hold to the thinking that vintage mustangs pretty much should maintain as much original appearance and function as possible with the exceptions that upgrades to brakes, lighting, performance, etc are a good thing but should be kept with the factory look as much as possible while avoiding major cosmetic and structural modifications for the most part.

I still hold to much of that but have been re-thinking sound systems lately for a couple reasons: 1) there are reproduction bezels available that accommodate DIN chassis that look good, work and fit well and allow you to keep the factory bezel in a box with the original radio(s) in case someone wants a 100% original look and function down the road; 2) the current cost of front end units such as the Pioneer DEH-X5800HD and/or Pioneer DEH-X3800UI is really reasonable for the performance and ease of use for USB, Android, etc.

Since I'm old school in that I have lots of CD's piled up that I like to listen to, but really don't like carrying discs and changing them out, the idea of ripping all my CD's onto a USB which plugs into the unit really hits the sweet spot. The installation of new speakers which provide much nicer sound than anything I installed back in the 90's just adds to the experience. My recommendation is to look into options for upgrading to one of the new digital DIN units if sound system is important.

Hi there Sir,

I did a review on a slide bar radio i bought for my '73 Mach 1 a while ago. Check it out, and it should be of good interest to you.::thumb::

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-reviews-custom-autosound-s-slidebar-radio?pid=215185#pid215185

Many thanks,

Greg.:)
Hi Austin,

Nice write up! Good information.

My Mach is still the way I bought it. AM radio back then, not much on it now worth listing to, so I just enjoy the sound of the motor :p But, if I ever decide to update, I will definitely keep your article handy.

My wife wanted me to pass on, "Its not a hobby....its a sickness". She is not a car person :D

Mac

Hi there Sir,

I did a review on a slide bar radio i bought for my '73 Mach 1 a while ago. Check it out, and it should be of good interest to you.::thumb::

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-reviews-custom-autosound-s-slidebar-radio?pid=215185#pid215185

Many thanks,

Hi Austin,

Nice write up! Good information.

My Mach is still the way I bought it. AM radio back then, not much on it now worth listing to, so I just enjoy the sound of the motor :p But, if I ever decide to update, I will definitely keep your article handy.

My wife wanted me to pass on, "Its not a hobby....its a sickness". She is not a car person :D

Mac
Hi Mac,

Thanks.Yeah, i'm still happy with this unit - it performs very well and sounds quite good for the money. I was just thinking to myself - i wonder if the company has released a new model since i did that review? I must investigate.

Also, tell your good wife, a man's got to have something going on in his life that brings him pleasure!:D:D

In my case, i'm not a married man, so that gives me more time to play with my toys.:p::thumb::

Back