1964 1/2 Fastback for sale USA on Ebay UK

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I have ever read, says no 64.5 fastback were built. Fastbacks were 09 body codes and this one says 07. Maybe fastback roof was added?Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
VIN number is clearly 64.5, so fastback roof is a transplant. Buyer beware!

There were some 64 1/2 fastbacks built. I have personally inspected one of them at a local show here. It was Beige in color. Had correct VIN and all of the 64 1/2 specific parts. I don't have pictures this was in 1976 so not digital then.

The VIN on this car decodes as a Hardtop should be 09 for a fastback for sure. There are many pictures on the net at Ford of the Fastback body way before the SOP for the model.

He does not have a picture of the radiator support showing the generator cooling holes only on 64 1/2 but it does have a generator. He says 289 but VIN says 260 2-V so that is also suspect.

I to would be very suspect of the car. He does not show the door tag and the left inner panel shows to be replace so that VIN# is gone also. I have seen the VIN# on 65 stamped in as many as 4 places on both the Left and Right inner fenders, guess the guy was bored or line stopped.

The amount of rust in the drivers door on the inside, 6" long hole, would suggest that the floors have been changed and looks so on drivers side. Like overlapped and not done correct.

To swap out a roof to go to fastback would be a big job and not easy to hide. It would be much easier to swap the VIN# which I think is the case here. I did go to his Facebook page and look at all the pics. Maybe that is why he is so anxious to export the car instead of sell here where the VIN change would probably be caught here.

If it is a true 64 1/2 fastback then it is rare for sure.

My friend that does restorations had a guy in town bring a 67 Mustang Shelby for him to look at. Clay went straight to the inner fender and looked underneath and they had cut out the vin and changed. Did not even bother to work the weld down on the underside. The top had a low place in the back the guy wanted poped out. They took the interior out and low and behold the car was a hardtop that had the fastback roof put on to make it a Shelby. The car was certified by the Shelby registry before purchased so I would not even trust them.

If it is a frankenstein it would be easier spotted in the U.S. Maybe that's why its being sold on Ebay UK? Just a thought, as British buyers are not as aware as our American counterparts.

I wonder if the door has been replaced with a 64.5 door and that is what the seller is reading as a VIN, not what is stamped on the fender apron. Note that the fender apron itself is a service replacement and not original, so there is no stamped VIN there.

There were no 64.5 fastbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back