Cooper Cobra or BFgoodrich ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
Ok...guys/gals......which do you prefer for your car? I need a new set of RWL tires and I am torn between the 2(and others......Hercules HP4000.....Firehawk INDY 500..?)

Mastercraft Avengers it is for little ol' me!!!

Love them, love them, love them!!::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::

Got them on the '73 Vert, and the '73 Big Mach.

Great in the wet, or dry, - good handling, braking, good rolling resistance, quiet, good long wearer.

Can't speak highly enough of them all 'round.(They look real cool too!;))

WP_20150505_011.jpgWP_20130804_008.jpg

Greg.:)

Coopers really suck on wet or even moist roads. Remember European roads have many turns so you have many opportunities to plant your car amongst the roadside trees.

I have Cooper Cobras on mine, but I've only ever driven in clear/dry conditions. I've heard they suck in wet conditions, but the BFGs I was after had been discontinued at the time, so that's what I went with. I like the look, but if they suck that bad in wet conditions, I'd be inclined to recommend the BFGs.

attachment.php

Oh yeah - the white letters are already starting to fade to brown, after just sitting in my garage the past 2 years... and so far, I haven't been able to simply clean them with shots of Bleache-White, Simple Green, or Purple Stuff Citrus. Starting to piss me off.

But yeah - they do look cool.

I'd considered the Mickey T's, too. I want to say they were my 4th choice at the time. BFGs, Mastercrafts, Cobras, and Mickey T's. Discount Tire had the Cobras in stock at my local store, so I beat feet down there and had them mounted up to my Cragars, with about 3 weeks to spare before the car show.

I'll hafta see how these Cobras work out. If they wind up having issues, I'll probably jump to the BFGs... but then the Mickey T's, simply because the Mastercrafts seem to be hard to find in stock for some reason.

It really depends on the dimensions of wheel you are running - or wanting to run on your car.

If it is 15 inch - your choices are limited. The most popular seem to be the Coopers, BF Goodrich TA 's and the MT Sportsman ST tires.

After looking at all and reading online reviews - I'm prob going with the MT tires. The BFG's are my fall-back 2nd choice.

Ray

"Oh yeah - the white letters are already starting to fade to brown, after just sitting in my garage the past 2 years... and so far, I haven't been able to simply clean them with shots of Bleache-White, Simple Green, or Purple Stuff Citrus. Starting to piss me off."

I experience that 'browning' also. Not sure what is the exact source of the issue since I do not use any kind of tire treatment, but I even see it on my spare in the trunk now and then. I clean it off the letters by using Denatured Alcohol on a terrycloth rag and carefully wipe each letter. Lacquer Thinner also works, but I usually avoid that since it can be pretty aggressive on 'rubberized' compounds. Once cleaned, the tires look good for quite some time.

I always like and used BFG TAs because of there retro look on both our 67 and 72 for yrs now, and I do know first hand about the danger of running tires that are older than 5 yrs. One the tread let loose and rip the driver side frt fender off the 72 in Nebraska and now this summer 5 yrs later those replacements on front has tread separating again with about 80% of the tread left. So now on our 67 the wife is saying about how its pulling to the right lately, so I'm checking the date of mfg on the sidewall and SURE ENOUGH there 5 yrs old and the tread is separating on one. The tires look almost new with only 9,000 miles on them. That's 3 tires in 5 yrs on cars that sit 99.9% of the time in the garage, so my point is most of us don't wear tires out on these weekend warriors. Our tires just get old and unsafe. BFGs TAs have shoot up in cost alot the last few yrs and some sizes discontinue and only have speed rating of S. There not high performance tires, so its time for me to move away from TA's. Higher speed rated tires have cap belts that should be a better tire I HOPE. 15in size tires are getting harder to fine. Maxxis and Micky T's and a few others have higher H or V rated tires that I'm thinking about and cost about the same as BFG's. Hate to give up my retro BFG's and maybe all tires self-destruct in 5 yrs anymore. I'll let you know in 5 yrs

I am using BFG T/A s 235/60/15 on 15 x 7 magnum 500s (white letters in) I find that they ride well and handle OK. They would not be my first choice due to the "S" being the only speed rating in that size. I had previously used the Yokohama AVS in 235/60/15 with a V speed rating (now discontinued).

It has come down to the fact that if you want a higher speed rating up sizing to a 16" or 17" wheel becomes necessary with what tires are available out there.

I have Cooper Cobras on mine, but I've only ever driven in clear/dry conditions. I've heard they suck in wet conditions, but the BFGs I was after had been discontinued at the time, so that's what I went with. I like the look, but if they suck that bad in wet conditions, I'd be inclined to recommend the BFGs.

attachment.php

Oh yeah - the white letters are already starting to fade to brown, after just sitting in my garage the past 2 years... and so far, I haven't been able to simply clean them with shots of Bleache-White, Simple Green, or Purple Stuff Citrus. Starting to piss me off.

But yeah - they do look cool.
Sand them. They are white all the way to the tire. like a 400 grit.

I picked up some Hercules HP 4000's and put em on mine. Very similar to the cobras and the price was right. Dont really have a driving impression of them yet but they did have a slightly higher speed rating then BFG's. I have run the BF Goodriches too and didnt have any issues with them decent all-round grip and wore ok. Price was a bit high for how they performed in my opinion.

Back