please help/seat belts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang
351CJ
toploader

Ok not funny anymore. I do not know where my front seatbelt bolts up. Silly I know but there's not a lot of info on this. 73 fastback. I got the retractable side but the short belt that bolts to the inside. I tore out a buttload of soundproofing, no luck. I also replaced the floorpans so wondering if I screwed up, IDK,I honestly thought this would be easy to find and am kinda embarrassed but what's Mustang family for? Please help!!!

OK, so for a point of reference, here's my driver side floor (front seats and carpet removed). You can see that the anchor point is pretty much right around 6" behind the backside of the seat platform.

driverfloor2.jpg

The new floor pans have the same metal formation.

testfitpans.jpg

When you weld them in, either cut around the anchor point and leave it in-place (like I did - that area was still good), or you'll have to "wing it" by drilling new holes and install the new backing plates Don (OMS) mentioned.

One other piece of advice: don't forget to punch the holes in the new floor pan sheet metal before laying down sound deadener - otherwise, you'll need to get under the car, find the anchor points, carefully drill some pilot holes, remove some of the sound deadener, and drill the new holes - all without mucking up the threads in the anchor plats. Ask me how I know this? :whistling:

No locating dimples, no holes, "no nothing," yet:

attachment.php

Still hadn't punched the new holes:

attachment.php

... And here we go with the RAAMMat - the holes still aren't there... trust me.

attachment.php

I even went the extra step and actually finished the interior... still no seat belts (because there STILL were no holes):

attachment.php

Insert "facepalm" smiley here.

OK, so for a point of reference, here's my driver side floor (front seats and carpet removed). You can see that the anchor point is pretty much right around 6" behind the backside of the seat platform.

The new floor pans have the same metal formation.

When you weld them in, either cut around the anchor point and leave it in-place (like I did - that area was still good), or you'll have to "wing it" by drilling new holes and install the new backing plates Don (OMS) mentioned.

One other piece of advice: don't forget to punch the holes in the new floor pan sheet metal before laying down sound deadener - otherwise, you'll need to get under the car, find the anchor points, carefully drill some pilot holes, remove some of the sound deadener, and drill the new holes - all without mucking up the threads in the anchor plats. Ask me how I know this? :whistling:

No locating dimples, no holes, "no nothing," yet:

attachment.php

Still hadn't punched the new holes:

attachment.php

... And here we go with the RAAMMat - the holes still aren't there... trust me.

attachment.php

I even went the extra step and actually finished the interior... still no seat belts (because there STILL were no holes):

attachment.php

Insert "facepalm" smiley here.
Mr 4x4 we need to share the beer of frustration over that one. I spent too much time threading a long object up through the bottom of the floor and getting cautious and crafty with utility knoves, box cutters, and scissors to get through that jute sound deadner. Definitely more of a PITA than I ever imagined.

kcmash

Oh trust me - I would love to sit down, crack a few cold ones and swap stories with everybody here - lots of information, advice, and forehead smacking stories to go around. rofl

SALUTE! (raises glass in your direction) ::beer::

Back