[game] need help with tuning a car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leroymcqy

Reaction score
My Car
Unfort i do not own a mustang no more :(

but the one i did own was a 1970 shelby gt 1500 mustang built up some.

p.s: i am not a big car guy that knows allot about em. i just like driving any powerful muscle cars.
Hello,

I don't know if this is allowed or if anyone can help me out. i need some help tuning some muscle cars on need for speed pro street grip race.

if anyone can help with it, it would be awesome. Also if not its cool.

the cars are:

a dodge challenger r/t (70 or so)

dodge charger r/t 70

i like muscle cars but all the tuning i had set up doesn't like turns at all, infact making turns is like trying to ice skate with shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you need to start with a basic understanding of all of the factors involved in suspension tuning. There's a lot more to it than throwing on some 20-inch wheels with low-profile rock hard tires. Here's a couple of examples of what is available on the web:

http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspension-tuning.php

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/suspension-settings.php

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/articletype/categoryview/categoryid/120/ultimate-suspension-guide.aspx
yeah i know, but in this game its alil different with the tune settings.

it doesn't go by numbers. its either positive or negative on the game.

but is the first guide for nfs?

but this is what i got:

dodge challenger r/t:

front Shock Compression: +5

rea Shock Compression: 0

front rebound: +10

rear rebound: -5

front spring: +7

rear spring: -5

ride height: -5

Front Roll Bar Stiffness: +10

rear Roll Bar Stiffness: -10

Toe: 0

Camber: +4

Caster: 0

Steering Response Ratio: -5

thats for steering. with this set up it doesn't like to turn. i also tried lowering and raising the shocks and toe and camber. in the game camber helps with gripping and turns but it just seems more i add or remove it just gets worse.

i read the guide btw. i am no mechanic type person. irl i never had to tune my cars. i just drove them with the stock settings. but i never really raced either in real life.

i am the type of person who loves muscle cars but won't race em.

go to -1.5 camber for starters

lower the front roll bar rate to about 4

increase spring and roll rates in rear to 40% of what you have up front

raise the rear height a bit at a time.

If the game is realistic, this should allow the front to grip in a turn and the rear to step out under power

Yeah, what he said?????? Sorry, I can't really relate to the video game scene. I am the old school of foot, seat of the pants, and what ya feel. Not meaning to criticize or speak poorly on what you do for entertainment. I have a 16yr old son who sometimes would rather play Call of Duty or some other shooter game than turn wrenches. It is just hard for me to understand that entertainment over experiencing life with its smells, look and feel that's all. Just me trying understand.

I've "built" a car in Gran Turismo 5 that is fairly close to the actual build I did on my car with wrenches. My real car actually handles better that the video game version, but I have my actual racing seat set up to where I can use it with my game car.

Game mods aren't really the same, but you can get an interesting feel for how power and suspension changes will actually work. Mods are free and simple on a video game and though I haven;t played it in a few years, when I have it is fun to learn tracks around the world that I would never be able to get on in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
go to -1.5 camber for starters

lower the front roll bar rate to about 4

increase spring and roll rates in rear to 40% of what you have up front

raise the rear height a bit at a time.

If the game is realistic, this should allow the front to grip in a turn and the rear to step out under power
the game isn't fully realistic. it doesn't give numbers. so i guess it would be:

camber: - 2

front anti-roll +4

spring: +4

rebound: +4

ride height: +4

am i correct?

it goes from 0 to 10. no .5 or such and its not precentage. for suspension its soft or stiff.

toe,camber, claster (cluster) its positive or negative.

Yeah, what he said?????? Sorry, I can't really relate to the video game scene. I am the old school of foot, seat of the pants, and what ya feel. Not meaning to criticize or speak poorly on what you do for entertainment. I have a 16yr old son who sometimes would rather play Call of Duty or some other shooter game than turn wrenches. It is just hard for me to understand that entertainment over experiencing life with its smells, look and feel that's all. Just me trying understand.
yeah i know but unfort i have no knowledge of cars in real life neither the less in game in tuning. i just drive em in real life. i barely worked on vehicles. i love muscle cars but just have no idea how to work on em.

I've "built" a car in Gran Turismo 5 that is fairly close to the actual build I did on my car with wrenches. My real car actually handles better that the video game version, but I have my actual racing seat set up to where I can use it with my game car.

Game mods aren't really the same, but you can get an interesting feel for how power and suspension changes will actually work. Mods are free and simple on a video game and though I haven;t played it in a few years, when I have it is fun to learn tracks around the world that I would never be able to get on in real life.
i never played gran turismo. i play need for speed most of the time. pro street and shift brings real life racing into a game. now on shift i have a challenger and such tuned just perfect but on shift i noticed its easier to tune then pro street. also it seems muscle cars on that game is popular. people seems to perfer tuners for pro street. i guess its due to the tight corners and high speed tracks. i had a charger one time on a old save game set for grip and drift and wheelie.

oh on pro street tho i can make any muscle car do wheelies like its nothing specially gt500 '67 at all maxed out parts.

i figured some of you probally never played the game but i figured maybe someone could help out.

Give it a try-when the designers of the games don't use truly accurate information, you are really looking for what they think will give the best handling-not reality-You should find Gran Turismo 5 from someone that has it properly set up-it is incredibly realistic at recreating tracks and cars.

Give it a try-when the designers of the games don't use truly accurate information, you are really looking for what they think will give the best handling-not reality-You should find Gran Turismo 5 from someone that has it properly set up-it is incredibly realistic at recreating tracks and cars.
i own xbox 360 maybe i look it up on the market store. right now i am laid off due to a injury done to my face.

i check it out.

i do now most of the cars i am using right now are close to perfect still needs some work. i got a viper to take turns like they are nothing but the challenger is giving me a fit. charger i set it for drag and its awesome for it.

yeah i know but unfort i have no knowledge of cars in real life neither the less in game in tuning. i just drive em in real life. i barely worked on vehicles. i love muscle cars but just have no idea how to work on em.
I would encourage you to give it a try. I never had any formal lessons just listened to people around me and when growing up and had some neighbors that did mechanical and bodywork that guided me on my first restoration. Don't go in with expectations that you are going to build a tire shredding g-mod or some show winning 100 point car. Go in with the interest to learn and accept and learn from the process. I know it is easy to say and hard to actually do. Hearing that you are off of work now only complicates it more. I would encourage you to give it a shot. You don't know what you don't know until you try. Heck 1 year ago I didn't now how to weld. I welded a cage together for a jeep and a skilled welder looked at the job after it was done and said I did ok. Mind you not perfect but OK. For a beginner that was good enough for me. We all learn with practice.

I would encourage you to give it a try. I never had any formal lessons just listened to people around me and when growing up and had some neighbors that did mechanical and bodywork that guided me on my first restoration. Don't go in with expectations that you are going to build a tire shredding g-mod or some show winning 100 point car. Go in with the interest to learn and accept and learn from the process. I know it is easy to say and hard to actually do. Hearing that you are off of work now only complicates it more. I would encourage you to give it a shot. You don't know what you don't know until you try. Heck 1 year ago I didn't now how to weld. I welded a cage together for a jeep and a skilled welder looked at the job after it was done and said I did ok. Mind you not perfect but OK. For a beginner that was good enough for me. We all learn with practice.
yeah your right. its more of a fun car on the game. but i just like to know how to tune a muscle car for track racing on the game figuring maybe it could help me alil in real life to when i ever get myself a project car.

i have read the guide that was posted. i got the car to do what Jeff73Mach1 stated in his one post. " this should allow the front to grip in a turn and the rear to step out under power" it does that but way to much. i end up hitting walls when turning.

i think i may just make it for drag racing. i know it wouldn't be good for top speed type races.

well i was thinking of gretting Gran Turismo 5 but its for ps only. i am on xbox 360.

+1

I'm right there with you. I haven't been able to get my teenage son interested in my Mustang yet. He just looked at it and said it was old... I have failed!

:huh::D

Put caster to +3 degrees. Toe in at 1/16 in.
That might help, also if the rear end is too loose you can lower it, soften the spring settings and increase the rear roll bar rate-should work in the game, though in real life body lean will drive the outside rear tire into the ground and increase rear traction. This is an oddity of leaf spring cars

Mt actual car has no rear sway bar, but I did have one on it and while it would stay much flatter in corners, it would easily drift in a turn when you applied power.

Latest posts

Back