Replacing alternator harness on 71 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Womack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
302 V8
future Grabber Lime
Discovered my 71's charging system is not working and alternator to voltage regulator wiring harness is in bad shape so I am looking to replace.

I called NPD and told them that I had no tach and no gauges and they said they didn't have a harness for my car. I was surprised, looking at my harness it has three boots on back of alternator and it looks like this one:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_wire_loom_alternator_to_voltage_regulator-102023-2878.html

NPD shows two harnesses on their website:

1. with Tach no Gauges,

2. No Tach, with gauges.

I thought 71 had tach and gauges or idiot lights (no tach no gauges), is this harness going to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,

There is always the odd ball like mine. Out of the factory mine was a Mach 1 with the 3 gages in the center stack and a nice big Clock to the left of the steering wheel. Since I had in a clock in the dash I got the very rare "Mach 1" console block plate in the console instead of a clock.

So, yes, you can have a gaged car without the Tach in the dash.

I bet Midlife can set you up with a good harness that you need.

kcmash

Try NPD 14305-6A, but you may have to change the connector for the green/red wire. This is the alternator harness for the 1972. I have the pins and connectors to change that puppy into a 1971.

Try NPD 14305-6A, but you may have to change the connector for the green/red wire. This is the alternator harness for the 1972. I have the pins and connectors to change that puppy into a 1971.
I think that would be the best option, I will PM later and we can work out details on getting the harness from NPD modified.

What is the difference between 14305-5A and 14305-6A? I did notice that one of the three plug's wires on my harness is thicker than the others (Black with Orange stripe).

20161011_113124.jpg

20161011_113110.jpg

The difference is in the connector for the green/red wire and the number of pins used on the voltage regulator plug.

Is this harness the same as original(same color wires) except connections you mention?

I typically don't work on alternator harnesses, let alone reproductions. My bet is that if it is from Alloy Metal, it will be a very close match to the original.

Try NPD 14305-6A, but you may have to change the connector for the green/red wire.  This is the alternator harness for the 1972.  I have the pins and connectors to change that puppy into a 1971.
Hey first time poster ,long time reader.  Midlife if you see this , can you explain how to remove resistance wire from fuse panel(16B).  Im replacing fried wire and dont want to damage the harness or fuse panel. I cant find a step by step for our cars at alll

btw  1971 concours m code machone. thanks for any help

peter

Try NPD 14305-6A, but you may have to change the connector for the green/red wire.  This is the alternator harness for the 1972.  I have the pins and connectors to change that puppy into a 1971.
Hey first time poster ,long time reader.  Midlife if you see this , can you explain how to remove resistance wire from fuse panel(16B).  Im replacing fried wire and dont want to damage the harness or fuse panel. I cant find a step by step for our cars at alll

btw  1971 concours m code machone. thanks for any help

peter
I don't really want to give out my trade secrets as that will undermine my business.  

You first need to find out why your wires fried, so you don't do that again...

Back