Front springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351-4v
1971 Boss 351
In 2015, I did a complete replacement of suspension and steering components on my Boss 351. Not a bad job, except for the springs. What a pain. I used an internal spring compressor, but was nervous the whole time. I have to now do this job on my Mach 1. Is there a better way? Just curious. I am not excited about it, even though I have done it before. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Harv

Is this the kind you used?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-73-Mustang-Shelby-Maverick-Coil-Spring-Compressor-/261195370724?fits=Make%3AFord&hash=item3cd07510e4:m:mvAALKWJNu5LT359n6YoI4g&vxp=mtr

That's probably the easiest and safest type to use, much better than the internal one with the fingers or the external ones.
Don, I did not use this. Never seen one. It works well on 71-73 springs? I used a standard internal spring compressor, and was underwhelmed. This piece looks nice. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I know what you're saying about the off-the-shelf regular spring compressors. The guy that sells these has been making them for some time and everyone that has used them seems to like them. They're fairly easy to make, if you have some welding skills, but for the price they seem like a good deal.

Just so happens I had to remove mine today to replace the upper control arms. These are the original to the car heavy duty BB springs. I used the spring compressors as noted in the photo. I last used them in 1997... when I also changed out the springs on my '71 429cj Mach 1.

However, they will not get used again in the future. These springs are tough as nails and very hard on the thread material of the spring compressors; to the point that they will be sufficiently stripped as to cause safety concerns. Two uses and into the scrap heap, but I am happy to have completed my task today...

Coil Spring removal (2).jpg

Coil Spring removal2 (2).jpg

Here is the one I have -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-73-Mustang-Shelby-Maverick-Coil-Spring-Compressor-/261195370724

2hygilc.jpg

Works really well.

mustang7173 :bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do recommend the thrust washer-Makes it much easier to turn.

Add $25.00 for a thrust bearing that greatly eases the compressing operation, available in my Ebay store.

mustang7173

Vicus,yeah, that looks real nice. I used an internal one and was $hi**ing in my pants the whole time while sliding the springs into place.

It is just hanging in my garage now, and if I never use it again that will be too soon..........
Danno, that I had the same experience. The internal spring compressor I used is now in a landfill somewhere. [emoji14]

Back