'71 Standard White interior - seat belts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 71 conv with standard interior has the lighter ones, i would say from looking at your swatches. i cleaned mine for what seemed like weeks in Oxyclean, and although they are not perfect, they are much cleaner. i'll try to attach some pics.

Looks like you made the decision already - i apologize for being late!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent mine into Snake-Oyl in Dallas TX. I received a quote from them today to restore the belts.

They sent two swatches of material for me to choose how I want the belts finished. My belts were in pretty rough shape, but I am pretty confident that they were originally the darker tan colour as I don't believe Ford used the bright white material on the standard white interiors. Unfortunately, I don't have a build sheet with my car, it disintegrated under the drivers foot well...

If someone has a standard white interior (original), light coloured exterior paint, can you chime in as to the colour of your seat belts.

Pretty steep to restore these, I have heard they do good work and well... I can't put these old belts back in...

Looking at your originals I think you made the correct choice.

Ray

My 71 conv with standard interior has the lighter ones, i would say from looking at your swatches. i cleaned mine for what seemed like weeks in Oxyclean, and although they are not perfect, they are much cleaner. i'll try to attach some pics.

Looks like you made the decision already - i apologize for being late!
>>>>>

Last edited:
Just for reference, here's one pic. You can compare to the carpet, and door panel on the passenger side.71 Belts 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pastel, as we had discussed in an earlier post, Parchment is the color of the production installed belts in your vert. There is no listing in 1971 for white belts. Snake-Oyl is expensive but I'm sure you will be pleased when you see the results of their work. I needed a set of belts for a 67 Mustang GT my boss owned. Called all my contacts at Ford and we just couldn't find anything new that had been "Stuck Back" and forgotten. He didn't like the repo/aftermarket belts so I figured something would have to be done with the original belts. Got a call back from one of my Ford contacts in Detroit who had used Snake-Oyl to restore some belts for his 68 Shelby. When my Boss saw the belts he thought I had found some new ones from Ford. Just keep that charge card handy!!

Pastel, as we had discussed in an earlier post, Parchment is the color of the production installed belts in your vert. There is no listing in 1971 for white belts. Snake-Oyl is expensive but I'm sure you will be pleased when you see the results of their work. I needed a set of belts for a 67 Mustang GT my boss owned. Called all my contacts at Ford and we just couldn't find anything new that had been "Stuck Back" and forgotten. He didn't like the repo/aftermarket belts so I figured something would have to be done with the original belts. Got a call back from one of my Ford contacts in Detroit who had used Snake-Oyl to restore some belts for his 68 Shelby. When my Boss saw the belts he thought I had found some new ones from Ford. Just keep that charge card handy!!
>>>>>

Last edited:
Steve,

I have two 73 verts with white interior. Both have black belts, one yellow and one black exterior. I guess Ford just went black to reduce the SKU's of part numbers?

Pastel,

In the past repo belt patterns did not match does the number of rows in the pattern match?

We had a local supplier to Ford that made seat belts and carpet back in the 70's. Their carpets and rolls of seat belt webbing would show up at local flea markets. I have two NOS sets of carpet for Maverick with factory type pads that I got for $5.00 each at flea market.

I should have bought rolls of the seat belt material it was cheap.

The barns were full what can I say, lol. I had some vision no place to put it.

David, the Parchment belts were a 71-72 "Rag Top" only part. In 73 the verts like yours with white interiors got the black belts. So I guess that took care of the problem of trying to keep a light colored belt clean that never looked clean. I love the look of the white interior cars, but as anyone that has one can tell you, they are a PIA to keep clean and to keep that "Look". Ford did reduce the number of seat belt colors offered by half in 73.

Steve,

I have two 73 verts with white interior. Both have black belts, one yellow and one black exterior. I guess Ford just went black to reduce the SKU's of part numbers?

Pastel,

In the past repo belt patterns did not match does the number of rows in the pattern match?

We had a local supplier to Ford that made seat belts and carpet back in the 70's. Their carpets and rolls of seat belt webbing would show up at local flea markets. I have two NOS sets of carpet for Maverick with factory type pads that I got for $5.00 each at flea market.

I should have bought rolls of the seat belt material it was cheap.

The barns were full what can I say, lol. I had some vision no place to put it.
>>>>>

Last edited:
Back