New Distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Will be installing new 2V CC Aussie Heads this winter as well as new cam. 608/612x225/232x112. It was suggested that I install a new distributor at that time as well. I am currently running a stock distributor with a pertronix III. Not sure if I should just be looking at a reman stock style and reuse my pertronix or something else. Any suggestions would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be installing new 2V CC Aussie Heads this winter as well as new cam. 608/612x225/232x112. It was suggested that I install a new distributor at that time as well. I am currently running a stock distributor with a pertronix III. Not sure if I should just be looking at a reman stock style and reuse my pertronix or something else. Any suggestions would help.
Well, when I converted my '68 coupe from a 302 to a 393w, I went with an MSD distributor and box. I can't tell you if it is better or not but my car runs great and it has been trouble free for 10 years.. when the funds are available, I certainly plan to replace the dual points in my '73 and get another MSD..

Whatever you use make sure the distributor gear is compatible with the gear on the cam. Ask the cam company what kind of distributor gear will work with their cam. I've used several MSDs and Ford Duraspark distributor with success. The MSD is easier to adjust the curve. Way back when I also used Mallory and Accel distributors with success.

Ok update on this. I am having a tough time finding a distributor for a 351c with a melonized steel gear. What my cam requires per comp cams. any suggestions?

I saw those and called Summit and they were unable to tell me if it was a melonized steel or not. The tech at comp was very specific on the melonized or a composite but recommended the melonized.

Ok update on this. I am having a tough time finding a distributor for a 351c with a melonized steel gear. What my cam requires per comp cams. any suggestions?
Contact MSD. When I purchased my distributor, there was an option for the melanized gear since mine is also hydraulic roller..

Back