Undercoating Mess

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
The PO has sprayed undercoating on the complete undercarriage, and now that it's running and the exhaust is heating up I'm getting drips of undercoating on the floor after I park. What can I use to remove it all and not have a tar steam all over the floor.

Alan L

I used a product called PeelAway7. It worked pretty good, but I was a mess. The wife took pictures to mess with me.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The PO has sprayed undercoating on the complete undercarriage, and now that it's running and the exhaust is heating up I'm getting drips of undercoating on the floor after I park. What can I use to remove it all and not have a tar steam all over the floor.

Alan L
If it's an oil based product that the PO used , you can whipe it of with gasoline.

John

lacquer thinner will also dissolve undercoating. but any of the above methods work.

My problem with using a remover is the Horrific mess you have to clean up afterwords.

I tried chemical remover on a small area and it softened and removed the undercoat but took my forever to clean up.

I ended up using a a scraper and a drill with a wheel attachment and i manually ground the undercoat off.

I think what i should of done was the Heat gun and putty knife method first, then cleaned up more with the drill attachment and finally wipe down with lacquer thinner.

after i used the drill and attachment i cleaned up with thinner but i would of saved myself some work had i used the heat gun and putty knife to get the really big stuff off first.

the chemical remover really is horrible, you get skin burns and it has a chance of getting in your eyes. you have to wear gloves and eye protection. then once you scrap it off, you have to clean the surface with a neutralizer.

on top of that if you go back and try to clean up some more of the undercoat it may have the chemical remover still in it and it will cause more skin burns. plus the semi liquid undercoat that you scrap off is Hell to clean off the garage floor, so you have to use a drop cloth under the car.

the scrap up method with a heatgun once the undercoat hardens you can just use a vacuum cleaner and get rid of it.

I agree with H about starting with the heat gun and scrapers. Mineral spirits for cleanup works and it's not as harsh as lacquer thinner when it runs into your armpits. Follow that with a good degreaser before prime and paint.

Back