• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icejawa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 M Code,2003 Mach Azure Blue
Hello there,

Found my mach 10/24/2016 but I am looking for parts for it now

- aftermarket RAM AIR plenum fixure

-OEM steering wheel

-OEM radio

-rear louvers that are not drill on, but something that stays on well

I am looking to buy a 1971 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland-4V and Manual transmission. Functional RAM air would be preferred.I always look on ebay, hemmings, autotrader, and every state/city craigslist. I usually only see automatics which I don't want, or cars priced through the roof. Not interested at all in clones, "tributes", or grandes.

Prince range is within $25k

I will go to the ends of the earth to find me a sexy 71 mach.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the search. I don't know if I could help you without more information.

When you say "no tributes or clones" do you mean no Mach 1 clones, or no 351c/4-speed clones? Less than 5% of all 71-73 Mustang were even a manual transmission car and some of these were 6 cylinder and 302 3 speed cars.

Based on the money and time I have spent on my incomplete restoration to date, I frankly think the 351 4-speed cars on eBay are priced pretty fairly.

What overall condition are you seeking? These bodies and interiors are just as challenging to restore as any other Mustang, so the price will vary greatly based on the condition too.

I would be curious to see what you think my car is worth in its current state.

It has everything you mention ed, but is an original automatic car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much don't mind if the interior is trashed, I can restore those. The body just has to be straight and no rust and needs good paint. Factory manual and 351-4v.

If i was looking for the same car i would be looking for a donor car at the same time that i could remove a 4 speed manual box from. I am no expert on American classics but surely a manual 4 speed box was used by ford in many differant models of cars. If only 5% of Mustangs had manual boxes you will have to pay the premium or find a donor gearbox or have a lot of patience.

A lot of American cars end up on mainland Europe as they also drive left hand drives. Maybe widen your search or email the big European dealers and offer them a finders fee

price range is within $25k
Solid Body, Manual transmission 351C car for that price sounds very do-able. Keep your eyes on this forum, craigslist, and Ebay and you will be there soon. With that budget you can get something nice, especially with Winter storage coming on for many. Search Texas!!!

Good Luck!

someone is offering to trade their 71 mach with everything i like for my 78 cobra and $16k. I'll see if I can get it to happen

There's a pewter/black '71 M-Code been floating around Texas for years. I had the chance to buy it shortly after I started my project, but I was afraid of that car - it was too nice for me.

When I first stumbled across it, I was blown away by how nice it was. I wanted to restomod mine, so the idea of buying such a nicely restored car only to "make it mine" was out of the question for me. That, and the $24,995 price tag was quite intimidating. I was in the early stages of my restoration and figured I'd have mine on the road for much less than that (boy, was I wrong).

It stayed on the lot for almost 6 months and finally sold at $19K, to someone locally who parked it and it apparently never saw the light of day for about 3 years - I never saw it anywhere in town... no car shows, no cruises, no chance encounters in any parking lots... nothing.

Then I heard it was for sale again around 2 years ago going for something like $22K. A short time later, it was gone and I haven't seen or heard anything about it since.

Good luck with your search. I think your budget and expectations are on track. I also think that '71-'73s are gaining traction in the collector car world, so hopefully you can find a good deal soon, because I think the prices for everything to do with '71-'73 Mustangs are going to start heading upward from here.

Here's a 72. Be patient and get exactly what ya want. Took me 3 months at least.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/atlanta/1972/ford/mustang-S67.html
Wow, that poor car is a hot mess. Appears to be ready for Baja too with those rear springs.
Another classic example of a car lot not knowing what they have, not seeking correct information, and wanting more than it's worth. The write-up alone is full of errors: the 351 Cleveland is not a small block, the rear axle is a 9" (not an 8"), and those are not Cragars, to name a few. I personally don't care for those red dust shields up front, or the red drums out back... but easy enough to fix.

Most of the mistakes are easily fixed. For instance, the body-colored valances can be painted black. The interior oddities can be fixed/restored with little effort (the sail panels are coming down, etc.). The Ram Air was obviously added afterward, but they ruined the chance of quickly and cheaply making it right - they could've just gotten a factory hood lock kit, but went with aftermarket pins instead - ruining the hood. No door/courtesy light pins? And what the Heck is up with the driver door? It looks like hammered dog snot around the trailing edge/latch area (with new paint, of course).

There are some issues with the driver side cowl at the very least. The fresh air cable is missing, which means the vent/cable has rusted, so they removed it. The only way that gets rusty is by having moisture accumulation (ask me how I know).

It looks like a fairly solid car, otherwise. Not a $26K car, though... more like an $18-19K car to me.

Yeah that 72 is not worth it to me. I have learned ALOT about the 71-73 Machs in my search and it is kind of agitating to see dealers selling what they think is a "show quality" car for a big price

Yeah that 72 is not worth it to me. I have learned ALOT about the 71-73 Machs in my search and it is kind of agitating to see dealers selling what they think is a "show quality" car for a big price
Sounds like you're not going into this refusing to remove the "Mach 1 Goggles" like I did... good for you! ::thumb::

If there's anything else you can think of that might be a question, you've certainly come to the right place - some of the guys here have forgotten more about '71-'73 Mustangs than I'll ever know. :cool:

The argument has been going on for years. Technically, I guess the best description is "Ford's Big Small Block" or something like that.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-are-the-351c-big-block-engines

It shares many characteristics of the FE/FT and MEL engines it was designed to replace (considered big blocks), which had 332 and 352 ci sizes as well. Kind of muddies the waters, eh?

If deck height alone determines if it's a big or small block, then I guess it's a small block. Never mind that the heads are as big or bigger than most 'big block' engines.

It's all confusing... I'm no expert... so I'll retract that comment. :whistling:

That car's still a hot mess, though. :cool:

Back