1971 351C 2V with AC Correct Concourse Hoses Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I am just in the process of having the engine pulled out and gone through.

I want to order the correct items for my concourse restoration from Marti. I will be restoring the AC unit(compressor is presently in the trunk)

Here is the link for the 351C http://www.martiauto.com/reproducedparts.cfm

I want to get it right and want to order the correct belts and hoses.

Plus any other items on the page that i will need

On the Marti page where the belts are there are some abbreviations after the item which i do not understand.

Can someone please clarify what the abbreviations are and which ones are correct for my engine.

CJ = ???????????????

PS = Power Steering?

AC = Air Conditioning

Dual Diaphragm Distributor = Twin Carb???

Single Diaphragm Distributor= Single Carb?

On the Marti page where the belts are there are some abbreviations after the item which i do not understand.

Can someone please clarify what the abbreviations are and which ones are correct for my engine.

CJ = ???????????????

PS = Power Steering?

AC = Air Conditioning

Dual Diaphragm Distributor = Twin Carb???

Single Diaphragm Distributor= Single Carb?
CJ= Cobra Jet/ 4V

PS= Power Steering

AC= Air Conditioning

Dual Diaphragm has an advance and retard side, two hoses.

Single Diaphragm has an advance and retard side, one hose.

That is a 2 bbl carb. H code motor. What is the VIN code on the car or can you post a copy of the Marti report?
I need to know what parts to get so i need to know which carb

Dual Diaphragm has an advance and retard side, two hoses.

Single Diaphragm has an advance and retard side, one hose.

Capture.PNG

Your car is an "H" code car. 2 bbl carb and 2V heads, not a CJ (Cobra Jet 4 bbl carb and 4V heads)
Yes i know my car is a 2V and not a 4V CJ

I just want to know whether my carb is single diaphragm or double diaphragm so i can order one hose or two.

Aside from yours being a Grande` and mine being a Mach 1, along with being different colors, and yours having A/C, our cars are pretty much the same. :whistling:

What I mean is: both are H-Code (351C-2V) w/FMX & 3.00:1 rear axle gears. My Marti Report looks very similar to yours.

Aside from yours being a Grandé` and mine being a Mach 1, along with being different colors, and yours having A/C, our cars are pretty much the same. :whistling:

What I mean is: both are H-Code (351C-2V) w/FMX & 3.00:1 rear axle gears. My Marti Report looks very similar to yours.
I am always baffled when it comes to engines fitted to differant models. I have had this conversion before about engines. I still believe that fastbacks and Mach 1 should have been sold with bigger CJ engine and Grande should have had H code engine. Just makes more sense to me.

Aside from yours being a Grandé` and mine being a Mach 1, along with being different colors, and yours having A/C, our cars are pretty much the same. :whistling:

I am always baffled when it comes to engines fitted to differant models. I have had this conversion before about engines. I still believe that fastbacks and Mach 1 should have been sold with bigger CJ engine and Grandé should have had H code engine. Just makes more sense to me.
I know what you mean - you hear the term "Mach 1" and think it's the upper-end of the performance spectrum... but in reality, a Mach 1 could have any of the V8 engines offered, from 302 through 429 SCJ (Super Cobra Jet).

In reality, the "Mach 1" models just have the flashier trim packages, since you could order pretty much any engine/transmission combination in any of the models.

Pegleg. the single and dual references are to the vacuum advance (the round device on the front of your distributor) that is held on by two screws. Depending on the build and calibration level of your engine, it could have either advance. If your distributor is the production installed unit, there should be an ID number on the housing. That will enable you to decode what you have. I have some illustrations of the two different advances and the location of the ID number.

53d0e4142cd81_95731n.jpg

th5QRUBUYX.jpg

distD0OF.jpg

Not sure if this issue is still in question or not?  Being late to the game I will contribute that the single or dual diaphragm is related to the distributor.  My all original November 71, H-code came with a dual diaphragm distributor installed.  There is a separate vacuum hose kit for the dual diaphragm versus the single and it has a little different routing diagram for the lines.

Engine start2.jpg

72 vaccum diagram2.gif

72 vaccum diagram1.gif

Back