Scott Drake turn signal switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang
351CJ
toploader

So I bought a new turn signal switch but when I put it in and screwed it down with the 3 screws it makes the emergency flasher button bottom out so hard the flasher button won't move. It bottoms out in the groove. This column use to be a automatic with column shift it looks like. Plus it don't work right screwed down. I left it floating,(no screws) and it worked but was sketchy.

Right - all '71-'73s are floor-mounted shifters.

Do you have a tilt, or non-tilt column? There is a difference between the two, and there are two different signal switches offered depending on which one you have.

As for the possible 'column shifter' issue, as you put it: there is a collar on the column that has a connector to transmission linkage at the firewall end of the column. That works with the shifter to prevent either the steering wheel or the key cylinder from turning [to start or stop the engine, I imagine] while in anything except Park.

Yes, there is also a neutral safety switch that prevents the car from electrically starting specifically when it's in anything except Park and Neutral, however, this collar/linkage device physically blocks either the steering wheel or key cylinder from turning (I don't remember which one, for certain - it's been a few years since I noticed this 'feature').

Mine is not currently connected and the linkage has been removed, so I have it permanently positioned to allow the wheel or key cylinder to turn. I discovered this while rebuilding the column, and happened to notice the "lock-up" feature by observing the position of the linkage connector on the firewall end of the column.

I'm sure there's a better, more exact answer explaining the actual function of that device... I'd be interested to hear it myself, actually. ;)

Interesting bit of trivia:

No Mustang has ever been factory equipped with a column shift.

I mean these are Ford products, not a GM or Mopar!

lollerz

kcmash

AH HAAA,AH HAAA Now we're getting somewhere yes. I looked on the column and it's stamped 72. I have no idea what it's out of. It's definately a column shift column. SOOOO,,,, I made a teflon bushing that goes behind the turn signal switch to hold it "out". Probably not a good idea but its working.lol. And yes if you turn it out of park the key will not shut off. I bypassed the neutral safety switch long ago as it can come in handy to start your car in gear in case you lose the clutch function somehow. Thank you for the input. I'm searching for a 73 column as I hate doing this 1/2 assed.

Do you have a tilt, or non-tilt column? There is a difference between the two, and there are two different signal switches offered depending on which one you have.

As for the possible 'column shifter' issue, as you put it: there is a collar on the column that has a connector to transmission linkage at the firewall end of the column. That works with the shifter to prevent either the steering wheel or the key cylinder from turning [to start or stop the engine, I imagine] while in anything except Park.

Yes, there is also a neutral safety switch that prevents the car from electrically starting specifically when it's in anything except Park and Neutral, however, this collar/linkage device physically blocks either the steering wheel or key cylinder from turning (I don't remember which one, for certain - it's been a few years since I noticed this 'feature').

Mine is not currently connected and the linkage has been removed, so I have it permanently positioned to allow the wheel or key cylinder to turn. I discovered this while rebuilding the column, and happened to notice the "lock-up" feature by observing the position of the linkage connector on the firewall end of the column.

I'm sure there's a better, more exact answer explaining the actual function of that device... I'd be interested to hear it myself, actually. ;)
NO, This actually helps A LOT. It's not tilt steering but also not a Mustang column. If it's not in the park position the key won't turn. The whole thing is sketching me out as it's my steering. I'll replace it as soon as I find one, hopefully this weekend. Thank you so so much for the input. I love this site.

Well - good news, then. I say that because you were able to identify it being a column from another vehicle. Ya never know what people are going to do to keep 'em running (or sell them to someone else, as well). Mine had a piece of angle iron welded across the trunk with a chain to hold the gas tank in, for instance. :chin:

Glad you're here, and glad we could help! ::thumb::

could of been installed for a handicap driver at some point.

What? lol Please help You wrote...

Why is this on the column? I assumed it was a column shift column? Ive been searching for 73 columns but they all have this linkage. I'm a little confused.

So you just turned this until it was in the unlocked position? Maybe the assembly line used it for many applications? I'll be doing research.

What? lol Please help You wrote...

Why is this on the column? I assumed it was a column shift column? Ive been searching for 73 columns but they all have this linkage. I'm a little confused.

So you just turned this until it was in the unlocked position? Maybe the assembly line used it for many applications? I'll be doing research.

The ring on the column and the lock out rod to the trans are for safety. You have to put the car in park or reverse on manual trans to get the key out.

The ring movement engages the steering wheel lock feature - for anti theft too.

The ring also allows you to turn off the ignition in a stuck throttle emergency and keep steering control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back