STARTER SOLENOID

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unreliable from what i have seen.

those concourse parts are good to look at do not hold up if you drive the car...

i think the good ford replacement is a c9 part.

Pegleg, I know your trying to do a close as concours level restoration as possible. I'm sure after the money you have already spent, "Budget" is now just another word in the dictionary (As Pastel Blue well knows).

Unless you are building a gold card trailer queen that will never be driven or started, I would stay away from the reproduction parts for functional items (voltage regulator, starter solenoid..etc) that while look nice, have the reputation of being JUNK! I use Motorcraft products on my cars and have never had any problems. The part number for the current version of the starter solenoid is Ford (B6AZ-11450-B) and Motorcraft (SW-7663). It will have the "D2AF-11450-AA" ID number on the mounting bracket. I guess it depends on the type of car show and the level of knowledge the judges have on Mustangs as to how closely they check the "Numbers" on your car there. Depending on the supplier, the original piece on your car would have been stamped "C7AF" or "C9AF". There are several parts venders that sell Motorcraft so availability is very good on these type of parts.

Now you know why I call my cars "Money Pitt #1 and 2". And I'm sure you have also heard that the only thing that separates Men from the Boys is the price of their toys!! :whistling:

Pegleg, I know your trying to do a close as concours level restoration as possible. I'm sure after the money you have already spent, "Budget" is now just another word in the dictionary (As Pastel Blue well knows).

Unless you are building a gold card trailer queen that will never be driven or started, I would stay away from the reproduction parts for functional items (voltage regulator, starter solenoid..etc) that while look nice, have the reputation of being JUNK! I use Motorcraft products on my cars and have never had any problems. The part number for the current version of the starter solenoid is Ford (B6AZ-11450-B) and Motorcraft (SW-7663). It will have the "D2AF-11450-AA" ID number on the mounting bracket. I guess it depends on the type of car show and the level of knowledge the judges have on Mustangs as to how closely they check the "Numbers" on your car there. Depending on the supplier, the original piece on your car would have been stamped "C7AF" or "C9AF". There are several parts venders that sell Motorcraft so availability is very good on these type of parts.

Now you know why I call my cars "Money Pitt #1 and 2". And I'm sure you have also heard that the only thing that separates Men from the Boys is the price of their toys!! :whistling

I have bought the Marti solenoid and voltage regulator. I intend to convert the regulator to the electronic version and put the nice Marti cover on it. I agree with the posts above, regarding the reliability of this stuff.

Last edited:

Now you know why I call my cars "Money Pitt #1 and 2". And I'm sure you have also heard that the only thing that separates Men from the Boys is the price of their toys!! :whistling:
Thank You for the part numbers. I am pretty sure there are not many judges here in the UK that would know the difference.

Can the bracket from the solenoid for sale with Marti interchangeable with the Ford or Motorcraft solenoid?

Pegleg, the way the bracket is fastened to the body of the switch, I wouldn't want to chance trying to remove it. There is a very good chance of damaging the housing which is a bakelite type material. While bakelite is an excellent electrical insulator and is heat resistant, if stressed it can break or shatter. If you are going to drive your car any at all, I would consider function and safety first. The aftermarket switches have been known to close on their own. On a automatic car it could burn your starter up, or if you have a manual trans car with no park brake set....off it goes! (Ask me how I know that one)

There again depending on the type of car show, how knowledgeable the UK judges are on US Ford products, and if any MCA judging criteria is used, those type of parts may not even be noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back