'71-429 cj C-6 drive shaft factorypaint daubs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Thought I would add something to this section to keep it moving forward...

I am working on the restoration of my correct and original C-6 transmission driveshaft. The information here would also apply to the super cobra jet engine with the C-6 transmission (Note: The 4-speed driveshaft and paint daubs are different.).

These driveshaft's are quickly recognizable by the approx. 6" taper seen on each end. (Note: The 4-speed drive shaft will not incorporate these tapered ends.).

After carefully removing the surface rust on my drive shaft, I found the four paint daub/stripes applicable to these units. Although the colour may a bit hard to see here, I was able to locate the correct:

yellow/orange/lavender + the white daub that sits alone further down the shaft.

Hopefully you can see in my photos, that the factory did not apply these paint daubs in a "neat" fashion; looks like the paint brush hit the shaft fully and the technician then twisted the brush to the its side to complete the daub/stripe around most of the shaft. The white stripe is fairly thick in application compared to the other three.

I will look to replicate this application on my restored driveshaft.

drive shaft paint daubs (3).jpg

drive shaft paint daubs2 (2).jpg

drive shaft paint daubs3 (2).jpg

convertible38.jpg

Last edited:
Original Factory Universal Joint still on drive shaft...

The front universal joint had a grease zerk which confirmed it had been changed at some point in time in the past. When I went to remove the rear universal joint, there was no grease zerk and the uni joint looked different then the front one. I decided to take a closer look at what was underneath all of the crud and I worked at removing the dirt and dried grease, etc. to see what was hidden underneath

(Got to love that Arizona desert sand and dirt, it actually acts as a protection coating for what is underneath. A PIA to clean initially, but a saviour in terms of the condition of many parts that were exposed to this long term "natural" coating...)

I came across another factory paint daub, orange in colour. On the other side, I work at removing the rust, etc. and it is evident that the Ford insignia can still be seen, just... and a partial part # (I think).

Interesting original find...

universal joint original to the car3.jpg

universal joint original to the car4 (2).jpg

universal joint original to the car.jpg

universal joint original to the car2.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool find. My rear U-joint was still the original when I pulled it as well, while the front had been replaced. Surprisingly the rear seemed to be in better shape than the newer one put in the front.

Didn't know where to put this pic, so thought here would do as it's a C6 trans from my 73 Q code convertible. The colour is the same as the top of the trans dipstick, also the bolt did have paint on the top and side of it as well, but is that worn that a pic could not show it properly. I'd forgot all about this paint daub until today when I decided to service the trans again. If it belongs elsewhere then please move. Hope it helps those out with their restorations.

Well I'd put up pics but for some FN reason I can never get these things to upload, do everything like supposed to,and still FN nothing. See if kids can work it out as it's got me FD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back