Mustang Build - Take Two!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computercarguy

...can't get there from here...
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I posted to the What did you do to your car today thread but in case anybody missed it, I got rear ended while stopped in line at a red light. My insurance company has sent me a check and the process of bringing my 'stang back to life has started. The body shop can't get me in for the frame machine until next month but the process of getting parts has begun!

MRP2001.jpg

MRP2002.jpg

I'll post more pictures of the current state and the progress soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a used original trunk lid, used original valance, quarter extension

Don

Sorry to hear that. With all that he distracted driving going on I figure it's only a matter of time before my labour of love gets ruined by someone. Hope your car's repair makes you happy when it's done.

Sorry about the accident. Hope no one was hurt. Ryan.

Sorry about the accident. Hope no one was hurt. Ryan.
We were both OK.

When you buy parts 71-72 are same for tail light, bumper and valance but 73 is different. Lots of people sell them on E-Bay saying 71-73 and yes it will fit but is not the same. So be careful there.
Learned that the hard way with some fender extensions... after I painted them.

Hey don't you need another clap on that fuel line, lol.
:D Overly cautious or all I had on hand were crappy clamps. :p

Accidents suck, especially when someone else is at fault and hits a Mustang. Glad your ok, and the damage isn't horrible. I had a flashback to when I was 16, 3 days before Christmas, in my first car a 67 Mustang Coupe, when someone ran a red light behind me and plowed into my car as I was waiting at a red light. I'm 6'4", so when I got out of my car I may have intimidated the reckless jerk, he drove over the curb and down the sidewalk to escape me! The license plate number wasn't a match, he was never found. And my car became an accordian because he plowed me into the car in front of me. My whole rear and axle were destroyed.

Accidents suck, especially when someone else is at fault and hits a Mustang. Glad your ok, and the damage isn't horrible. I had a flashback to when I was 16, 3 days before Christmas, in my first car a 67 Mustang Coupe, when someone ran a red light behind me and plowed into my car as I was waiting at a red light. I'm 6'4", so when I got out of my car I may have intimidated the reckless jerk, he drove over the curb and down the sidewalk to escape me! The license plate number wasn't a match, he was never found. And my car became an accordian because he plowed me into the car in front of me. My whole rear and axle were destroyed.
Ouch! I think the driver that hit me must have looked up at the last second to at least get slowed down a little bit before rear ending me. I saw her coming in the rear view mirror and thought to myself, they aren't paying attention. I had just enough time to lock my clutch leg and push hard on the brake. As she hit me a steered to the left (on a four lane bridge, right wasn't an option) to try and avoid the car in front of me. Just as that was happening the car ahead started moving, saving me from the "accordion effect". I came about two feet away from hitting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you are making repairs, I notice your car is shackled up a fair bit. It might be a good time to either replace or rearch your leaf springs.

I hope it all goes well with the repairs and insurance and am glad no one was seriously injured.

I heat my garage with a kerosene heater-it is suprisingly effective if you keep a bit of air flow going.

Sorry this happened. Bummer, I have a trunk lid if you need it. I'll let it go cheap. I'm in NC I agree with Jeff it's a good time to do some upgrades. Make it better than it was.

While you are making repairs, I notice your car is shackled up a fair bit. It might be a good time to either replace or rearch your leaf springs.
Shackles are actual new from one of the Mustang specialty sellers and are set at the lower of the two settings (supposably stock height). Ride and ride height were acceptable but I have been contemplating new springs. I'm not happy with the polyurethane bushings in the shackles as they have no give when cold.

I heat my garage with a kerosene heater-it is suprisingly effective if you keep a bit of air flow going.
My thought is I can do the welding while it is cool and start with the paint and body filler in the spring. I like to hibernate during the winter. :D

January and Feburary average less than 20 degree F. around here.

Sorry this happened. Bummer, I have a trunk lid if you need it. I'll let it go cheap. I'm in NC I agree with Jeff it's a good time to do some upgrades. Make it better than it was.
I definitly want to spend more time block sanding it this time. I don't know what was going through my head last time??? Totally missing two partial panels. I know better!

Also going base coat/clear coat this time.

Back