VIN number location(s).

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
Hello Forum........this has probably been asked before.......how many VIN locations are there?

1. Front left windscreen.

2. Underneath front left fender across from shock tower.

3......?

Thanks.

Hello Forum........this has probably been asked before.......how many VIN locations are there?

3......?

Thanks.
the front fender(s)/shock towers (partial VIN) + the driver door data sticker and if you are lucky, the buck tag may be still on the front rad support.

Additionally, on certain cars, the engine and transmission incorporate a partial serial #. I believe you bought the big block from here in Canada? The engine matching serial number will be on the rear of the block (driver side) just below the cylinder head. The transmission # cannot be seen easily without lowering it as it is located on the top of the transmission in the middle.

There are additional partial #'s/date codes throughout the car also, depends how far you want to determine what is original to the car.

Engine serial # on block (2).jpg

Veh. ID # Stamped in Main Case.JPG

Last edited:
1. Front Left Windscreen - riveted to the top dash panel.

2. The fender side of both shock towers

3. Door sticker

That's pretty much it for the actual VIN numbers.

The "buck tag" is usually found on the radiator cross member, but doesn't have the complete VIN, since the engine code may not have been available at the time the chassis was 'bucked' onto the assembly line.

3......?

Thanks.
the front fender(s)/shock towers (partial VIN) + the driver door data sticker and if you are lucky, the buck tag may be still on the front rad support.

Additionally, on certain cars, the engine and transmission incorporate a partial serial #. I believe you bought the big block from here in Canada? The engine matching serial number will be on the rear of the block (driver side) just below the cylinder head. The transmission # cannot be seen easily without lowering it as it is located on the top of the transmission in the middle.

There are additional partial #'s/date codes throughout the car also, depends how far you want to determine what is original to the car.
Pastel, pretty sure all Fords had partial serial number on the engine and transmission, it comprised the year, plant code and last 6 of the vin.

Not sure when it started but I know 70 ans on Mustangs had this

Here you go...

VIN locations...

1.Under top of both fenders in the center...you will need to loosen fender bolts and pull back to see. This is a partial VIN.

2.Dash plate

3.Door data plate on drivers side door

4.Buck tag mounted to radiator frame, can be either side.

5.Stamped on engine on drivers side below head, need mirror to see.

6.On top of transmission, can't see while in car.

7.Build sheet under carpet possibly.

8. Warranty card with aluminum strip in glove box.

I think Jeff nailed them all but a couple. When my car was delivered I asked them not to dealer prep the car I would do myself. There were several computer punch cards with the VIN on them in the floor board and an extra set of the stainless for the clutch and brake pedals. The window stickers on the car had the VIN and I went back and got my dealer invoice form my local dealer. He had attic piled with bankers boxes with dealer invoices. I would have to find a set of the Key tags, round tag that was on your keys. Did that have tumbler codes or VIN I don't remember.

I once tore down a 65 mustang that had the vin# stamp on the inner fenders in six different places. Must have been setting the air stamp or just bored, maybe line stopped.

David, it was good that the dealer allowed you to take the car without going through the PDI (Pre-delivery-Inspection) process. A lot of the things you found such as IBM cards and extra loose items would have been thrown away during the PDI and cleaning process. Now that we live in such a litigious society a lot of dealers are hesitant to turn a vehicle loose with out the safety of the PDI being performed. Our dealer owner who was also a Mustang enthusiast, finally started allowing customers to watch the PDI process (Mostly ones who were purchasing Boss 302's and the Shelby's and had special requests). That way the plastic could be left on the leather wrapped steering wheels and seats, but the Ford check list of safety items could still be performed.

The metal tags you referenced that came with the keys had the "FA" and "FB" key codes. I probably have a set of them left from a 79 XR7 Cougar I bought new. Most of my cars before then were used or if new the tags were pitched since I had not become a hoarder of such things yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably went through check list but were told not to wash or take anything out or off of the car. They could only drive to unload and into shop. They left the shipping brackets in the rear also. I had them do full undercoat before I took it home. Salesman wanted me to go try it before I went home so dealership is about a mile from I-26 so I went one mile then floored it. It ran out of steam at 120 so I came back and complained. He got upset that I drove it that hard. I told him it was either right or wrong driving it slow would not fix a bad engine. The horn ring or center was on upside down also. So to be factory correct it has to be upside down right, lol.

No that is the panel stamping (all cars that aren't repro metal) have it. D1ZB D=7 1=1 Z=Mustang B=Body

Mark

P.S. The 65 is the common code for a NON convertible (63 Fastback and 65 coupe use the same part)

So is this a part of the Vin ?
No, that's a partial part # stamp. D1ZB is 71 Mustang. 65 is for the coupe body style and was the generic number used if it fit all three styles. You'll find stamps like that in various places around the car.

No that is the panel stamping (all cars that aren't repro metal) have it.    D1ZB   D=7 1=1 Z=Mustang B=Body

Mark

P.S.  The 65 is the common code for a NON convertible  (63 Fastback and 65 coupe use the same part)
ok, thanks.

It means that the panel is a 71 model ? ( this Mach 1 is a 72 accordind to its Vin). I guess that a panel made in late 71 could have been used in early 72 ..

The partial VIN is under the top edge of the driver side fender, on top of the fender apron, approximately where it is circled in the sketch. The top fender bolts have to be removed and the top of the fender moved out slightly to see it.

Back