Slam Panel color & Power Steering Box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Not sure what this part is called Stateside. Here we call it a slam panel. Its the part that the radiator is surrounded by. It is riveted in. As it is riveted is it safe to say this part would have been sprayed slop gray?

The power steering box looks like it has had a blue overspray. I am not sure if this steering box is original. Can someone take a look at the picture and tell me if its original and what color it should be. ::thumb::

20161021_155144.jpg

Here is what the MCA concurs Judging sheet says about the steering box

so its Natural unpainted

F. Suspension and Steering:

Front Natural Parts: Tie rods, tie rod adjustment sleeves, idler arm, drag link, pitman arm, steering box, strut rods, strut washers, sway bar, sway bar end links & mounting brackets, spindles, upper control arms, spring seats. Lower control arms (all have jacking tabs or dimples) may be all natural or black with natural ball joint ends.

Here is what the MCA concurs Judging sheet says about the steering box

so its Natural unpainted

F. Suspension and Steering:

Front Natural Parts: Tie rods, tie rod adjustment sleeves, idler arm, drag link, pitman arm, steering box, strut rods, strut washers, sway bar, sway bar end links & mounting brackets, spindles, upper control arms, spring seats. Lower control arms (all have jacking tabs or dimples) may be all natural or black with natural ball joint ends.
Thank You ::thumb::

When i pull the power steering box out i will take pictures in a better light. The picture posted does not really show the light dusting of what looks to me like Ford Corporate Blue.

I will also show some close-ups of Firewall. It looks like the sprayer had one too many joints that day as the ripples look like a rolling sea. I am really looking forward to seeing the engine bay free of grease and dirt so i can get a good idea of the finish.

Agreed with Imusa. Steering box should be natural finish. Eastwood Cast Blast is a good facsimile and will keep from rusting. Top cap remains bare aluminum. The front panel around the radiator is typically referred to as a Core Support. It is painted in the same black as the engine bay. It is welded in not riveted

Back