Lower steering column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
My right directional signal light inside the car does not always work. The signals outside work fine. I figure its a loose bulb , they were changed to led about 5 years ago. I am trying to get the bezel off and get to the bulb. It is fighting me and the problem is it is hitting the steering column on the bottom of the bezel. If I take the three bolts off that appear to be holding the steering column up will it loosen up and not cause any damage? I know I had this off years ago and I remember having to force it into place.

Thanks,

Rick

i just changed the turn sig sw in mine and i recall 2 bolts holding the column on.. there might be 3, for i didn't need to drop it, but i did need to remove the bracket under that support to allow the plug wires to pass. if your going to be under there for a while i'd pull the drivers seat.. 4 bolts and it makes soooooo much easier to look up and do what's needed.

My right directional signal light inside the car does not always work. The signals outside work fine. I figure its a loose bulb , they were changed to led about 5 years ago. I am trying to get the bezel off and get to the bulb. It is fighting me and the problem is it is hitting the steering column on the bottom of the bezel. If I take the three bolts off that appear to be holding the steering column up will it loosen up and not cause any damage? I know I had this off years ago and I remember having to force it into place.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, I too had this problem, but I found all you may need to do is loosen the nuts to allow the column to drop just a bit. I have been able to get the cluster out before by carefully moving it sideways and out and not dropping the column. I take it you have removed the front face piece? When I do mine and it seems quite often now, I start by removing the dash pad, then the side panel (behind the door), then the column sleeve, there is a clip that has to be pulled toward the pedals as well as 2 screws, then the face panel. You may have already done this, so then there are 4 screws 1/4" head holding the cluster, which you may only need to pull forward to get at the bulbs. You may be able to reach the bulbs without pulling the cluster. If you do have to pull the cluster out, be careful not to damage the copper connectors on the circuit board card. Unclip the speedo cable by squeezing the tabs. I maybe stating the obvious, but sometimes we/I miss the simplest things. Maybe I do more than needed, but this is my method of removal.

Also from my own experience and this has been posted before many times, LEDs' did not work in turn signals with a standard electronic flasher. The flasher has to be a grounded type (with a ground wire attached) I did not know this when I installed LED's and found out the hard way. I currently still have incandescent bulbs in my turn signals, which work fine. While on the subject of LED"s, if you have idiot lights, DO NOT put an LED in the ALT socket. This MUST be an incandescent bulb or the circuit can be damaged.

Hope this helps and you get your issue solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see people saying two or three bolts in the column. There should be four going through the aluminum blocks on the bracket on the column. Just loosen them but if still and issue take the nuts off. Don't just let the column drop to floor might damage the rag joint connection. They get old and crack.

Place a towel over the column to prevent scratches on the instrument cluster. Be careful with two locator pins molded on the white part of the cluster they break easily. On the bottom each end.

I see people saying two or three bolts in the column. There should be four going through the aluminum blocks on the bracket on the column. Just loosen them but if still and issue take the nuts off. Don't just let the column drop to floor might damage the rag joint connection. They get old and crack.

Place a towel over the column to prevent scratches on the instrument cluster. Be careful with two locator pins molded on the white part of the cluster they break easily. On the bottom each end.
David +1 on the two locator pins.

I just looked at my column and I only have 2 nuts at the top on studs and 1 bolt holding the top of the column in place. I looked at my 71 manual and it says there are 4 bolts on the toe plate, bottom end through the firewall. The picture shows 3!! It is not a good drawing for sure, but it shows only 2 nuts and 1 bolt holding the column up. Hmmm indeed. Hate to be picky, does it really matter, point is not to drop the column completely.

There should be 4 nuts holding the column to the bottom dash support under the cluster. Remove the plastic column filler before loosening the 4 nuts to the ends of the threaded studs.. You don't have to take the nuts all the way off.. There will be enough clearance to remove the cluster trim panel once the column drops down..

There should be 4 nuts holding the column to the bottom dash support under the cluster. Remove the plastic column filler before loosening the 4 nuts to the ends of the threaded studs.. You don't have to take the nuts all the way off.. There will be enough clearance to remove the cluster trim panel once the column drops down..
Perhaps I'm one nut short of a load!! 2 nuts and 1 bolt is all I have. Doesn't really matter does it. The point is it may be necessary to drop the column just a bit to remove the cluster.

The original poster has not acknowledged any of the suggestions put forward, so hope he appreciates the replies.

I was able to remove my cluster (multiple times, don't ask) without dropping the steering column at all. Had to make a couple turns and wiggles but it comes out.

I was able to remove my cluster (multiple times, don't ask) without dropping the steering column at all. Had to make a couple turns and wiggles but it comes out.
I too have done it multiple times, (likewise, don't ask) without dropping the column. Once you have done it, it is reasonably simple to do it again. Having said that, I just have the basic s/wheel rim, others wheels my cause more interference.

Back