Vendors & Suppliers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PABlueMach-1

I am a seasoned Jeep-guy and know my resources as such. I can not say the same for Mustang stuff!

Please educate me... What are the differences between NPD? CJPony? Ohio-Mustang? Other resource types?

Thanks for the help!

Different vendors may have different suppliers s sometimes have stuff the others don't have.

Depends on what you're looking for.

I know that Don at OMS has some used parts that are not being reproduced. He is also quite knowledgeable about our cars and is good at answering to specific needs.

But there are some parts he doesn't supply like many suspension parts.

Just as an example.

Some will sell ball joints separately, others only with the control arms attached as an assembly. Some carry brand "y" while others carry brand "z" on the same product etc.

NPD is like Summit. They carry "general" stuff that you need for maintenance like wheel bearings, brake pads and whatnot but they usually don't carry parts that are specific to a certain car, like body moldings, taillight bezels etc.

That is where Mustang specific vendors come in like CJ , OMS, Mustangs Unlimited and whatnot.

Good answer from Luxstang.

I always check OMS first for Mustang related parts.

Don has a lot of parts he does not advertise on his

webpage, just ask him. After that, for generic car

parts it is NPD or Summit Racing.

I have found local "auto parts" stores to be very unreliable

unless you are buying a name brand. Even then it is

sometimes the wrong part.

mike

It has been my experience from buying mustang parts since the 60's that the smaller vendors have a better price due to overhead being less. I would have do disagree that NPD not having most of the parts. We have one in Charlotte, N.C. near me and they carry pretty much everything for any year of mustang that is produced. The catalog for Mustang is over 1/2" thick. Since they carry lots of other makes and models besides Mustang they have buying power to get their supplier prices down to cover their huge overheads.

Order catalogs from all of them and you can compare. Get opinions from Forum members on the brands which fit and work the best. The Carpenters, Dennis and his son, lost his name in memory, do some of the best repo parts out there. They sometimes get the original Ford tooling. Drake makes very little he buys from others and brand labels the products.

Car parts are very cheap to produce on a large scale but more costly for repo due to volume.

Not every part for the 71-73 is repo so you have to depend on salvage yards and most normal ones don't keep the older cars due to low demand, yes low demand. They want to sell F-150, Honda Civic, and parts for new cars that get crashed. You have to seek out Mustang junk yards that the cars sit there until they rust away.

Do your shopping and sometimes even parts on eBay are the best price. Check craigslist someone might have a hoard to sell.

I used OMS, NPD, and CJPP primarily for my restoration/restomod. The specific things I knew I needed, I would check between the 3 sites, and go from there (except for the performance goodies, which mostly came from Summit Racing and O'Reilly Auto Parts).

I favor OMS because Don is a very active member of our site, offering information, advice, and a GREAT vendor relationship with the site and his customers. If OMS didn't have it, I'd check with NPD then CJPP. I ain't gonna lie, I had some back-ordering/shipping issues with CJPP more than once, but nothing really monumental or anything... conversely, CJPP has many things that other sites simply don't have - so, they still got plenty of my business as well.

It doesn't hurt to look around. If there's another vendor close-by your location, it might be prudent to check with them to potentially save money by picking things up, rather than paying shipping for everything, like I did.

So... what kind of a Jeep you got? I have a 1980 CJ-7. :cool:

Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply (OMS) is my first choice. Then for used - I would try OMS or MotorcityMustang - another vendor on here.

I don't care much for NPD or CJ's. When you ask them a specific question about a part they are lost when it comes to the 71-3's IMHO. But Don seems to specialize in our years. I can only speak for myself but I appreciate that level of customer service.

Ray

I've used them all. I like mustangs unlimited. Always run a 10 percent off sale once and a while. Some sites like cj put the same parts on sale and never change it up. Just gotta shop around

It depends on what you are looking for. Some of the big box stores may have the part for less just due to the "buy in bulk" factor. But in my experience there is not a better supplier out there than OHIO MUSTANG SUPPLY. Not only is Don a wealth of information, he is honest to deal with. He has given me information that has actually saved me money and taken money from his sale and I have ordered many many parts over the years. Also if you want to order online and its not in stock, with Don you can't order it without calling. Some of the other companies will process the order and never tell you that the parts are backordered until you call looking for them. Ask me how I know................My 2cent

I have to agree with all the responces here, Check with Don at OMS first, then go from there.

I use the following.

1. Ohio Mustang Supply (always first on the list, because I can get real info on the parts like fitment and quality)

2. Mustangs Unlimited (only because they are driving distance from me, and they give my club a 10%-15% discount off the already inflated price!!)

3. CJ pony (parts are always back ordered)

I am a seasoned Jeep-guy and know my resources as such. I can not say the same for Mustang stuff!

Please educate me... What are the differences between NPD? CJPony? Ohio-Mustang? Other resource types?

Thanks for the help!
When you say Jeep-guy, hope you mean CJ, YJ or TJ.

Took a break from the Mach-1 project... Slowing re-starting!  Seems I took bad notes.  I need the name/email for the NPD, all so helpful, guy?

The only helpful guy I know is Don at OMS (Ohio Mustang Supply)

http://www.ohiomustang.com

It's a crapshoot when you go to a big vendor like NPD or Summit and ask a question. You're not likely to get a knowledgeable person on the phone. Same with going to a local parts store. You need to know the part number or there's a high probability they'll look up the wrong part.

If pricing is your main driver, big vendors will have limited offers that are very appealing. CJP have their points system that you can take advantage off when making big purchases. However, sometimes CJP will have "simple" things overpriced. Like if you buy a seal they will recommend the glue for the seal but sold very expensively. Thats where they get you. Also, be very careful if you need parts fast. A lot of parts sold by CJP are backordered and they will take anything from a week to months to arrive. CJP is also useless when it comes to answer specific questions. Their biggest advantage would be price combined with free shipping. Not having any of these big stores nearby shipping can add up quickly.

OMS will give you very good unbiased advise and he will have the best repop brands. He is also a great source for used parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
PABlueMach-1, All above posts have great info. As David stated there are advantages and disadvantages to both small and large stores. Smaller ones with less overhead may offer slightly better prices while the larger stores may have a much broader product line. I have a lot of experience dealing with many different parts vendors, mostly Ford products. Part of my job responsibilities at the dealer I was at involved trying to keep up with the fleet of cars (Toys) the owner and his son owned. Just in an 18 month period I was searching for parts for a 31 Model A, 34 Ford V8, 62 Thunderbird Roadster, 63 Falcon Sprint,65 K code Mustang, and a 67 Mustang GT. I'll stop there even though there were some other Lincolns and T-Birds involved. Most were total ground up restorations and a total test of my patience. The Mustangs were not as bad since there are a large number of parts sources for them. What all this has been leading up to is the backorders, double talking sales people, broken or wrong parts, and (unfortunately) the poor attitude of the voice on the other end of the phone you will eventually end up dealing with.

IF...I had only know about Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply then, I could have saved myself a lot of grief and a lot less blood pressure medication. My Boss spent over 100K on the two GT Mustangs (the 67 did receive a 427 transplant) and every time I called to inquire about the never ending list of backorders and the return of parts THEY sent wrong, I got attitude from them!

So....I'll say it again. Call Don first! He is a Forum Member/Vendor here and is very knowledgeable on the 71-73's and will give you an honest answer if you want an opinion or info. Don and Mike @ Motor City Mustang both have parts cars and can help you in case you need something that just isn't available other than used.

Also need to remember that since our cars are not part of the 65-70 Club, we are still considered "Outsiders". Something Don will never do!! OK, I'm done with my rant!   :whistling:

Jeep restoration projects are a 1990 SJ/Grand-Wagoneer(done), 1987 XJ Wagoneer-Limited(in-progress) - 2007 JK/Liberty, 2007 XK/Commander, 2008/SRT.

Back