Steering parts question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I am trying to order parts and need help with part names please.

One end is Pitman arm connecting to rod. Then there are 2 Idler Arms . At the other end of rod is a connection. Is that connection at the end of the rod a Tie Rod End?

There's only one idler arm. The pitman arm connects to the steering box end of the center link and the idler arm connects to the other, mimicking the movement of the pitman arm so that the center link retains the correct geometry as it moves back and forth. The inner connecting rods are connected to each end of the center link, then comes adjusting sleeves and then the tie rod ends, which connect to the spindle. The tie rod ends are also called the outer connecting rods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

Don just said more or less what I was going to say.

The NPD catalog refers to the parts as: Pitman Arm, Outer Tie Rod, LH & RH, Adjuster sleeve (2 req), Inner Tie Rod, LH & RH, Drag Link (center link) and Idler Arm.

Note on the Idler Arm. There was a thread on this recently. I suggest you look it up. Most of the reproduction arms may not look the same as the original, some are better than others. It is the center line measurement between the 2 bearings that is important as well as from the top of the drag link connector bearing/bushing in relation to the bottom frame mounting hole. Hope that make sense!! I bought the NPD part # 3355-1 (USA made) as it has bearings not rubber bushings. Unfortunately this part did require me to slot the top hole for it to fit. (per instruction sheet). Other than that, the geometry was the same. Again, there was a lot of discussion on this subject.... and confusion!, so I hope you're not too confused either.

By the way, this post should be in the Steering section, but who cares!!

EDIT: I looked up the post. Idler Arm Question by Blmeis on 02/03/16 Enter idler arm question in the search box top right and you'll find it there. Good luck.

Geoff.

Steve,

The NPD catalog refers to the parts as: Pitman Arm, Outer Tie Rod, LH & RH, Adjuster sleeve (2 req), Inner Tie Rod, LH & RH, Drag Link (center link) and Idler Arm.

Note on the Idler Arm. There was a thread on this recently. I suggest you look it up. Most of the reproduction arms may not look the same as the original, some are better than others. It is the center line measurement between the 2 bearings that is important as well as from the top of the drag link connector bearing/bushing in relation to the bottom frame mounting hole. Hope that make sense!! I bought the NPD part # 3355-1 (USA made) as it has bearings not rubber bushings. Unfortunately this part did require me to slot the top hole for it to fit. (per instruction sheet). Other than that, the geometry was the same. Again, there was a lot of discussion on this subject.... and confusion!, so I hope you're not too confused either.

EDIT: I looked up the post. Idler Arm Question by Blmeis on 02/03/16 Enter idler arm question in the search box top right and you'll find it there. Good luck.

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. It seems like the repop parts need fettling. The 2 parts i need are ringed in red. Both idler arms?

3.png

Its just the bushes that are shot. Can i buy the bushes seperately?????
Those are the inner tie rods. I don't think you can buy just the bushings besides the rods are cheap enough, here anyway, about $55 US, You might try RockAuto.com They ship worldwide and are likely cheaper for the same quality.

Steve,

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. It seems like the repop parts need fettling. The 2 parts i need are ringed in red. Both idler arms?
You likely just miss quoted the part name you need. The Idler Arm is the part bolted to the frame and connects to the drag link. Looks like you have some cleaning to do my friend!!

I am learning a whole new terminology and part names. Thank You to everyone for your help.

Yeah lots of cleaning to do before it goes off to get engine bay painted, all the usable parts painted and engine stripped gone through and painted

I am learning a whole new terminology and part names. Thank You to everyone for your help.

Yeah lots of cleaning to do before it goes off to get engine bay painted, all the usable parts painted and engine stripped gone through and painted
See my post; Engine Bay Detailing - 71 Mach 1 in chassis and paint section. May be of interest although NOT concourse.

Can't seem to find and earlier post related to that one.

Please continue this thread in the suspension section.

pm me if needed.

Back