Trunk Kit from SMS Auto Fabrics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Part of my order from SMS turned up today. When i ordered the trunk kit(Carpet set) i thought it would come as a complete moulded carpet with a second piece to go over the spare tyre.

What arrived was a collection of many many pieces with velcro to stick the many many pieces together. Not impressed at all. Worst of all it looks like a child has used blunt scissors to cut out the pieces and some of the carpet has the thinnest cardboard for backing with the carpet not being glued up to the edge of the cheap thin cardboard. I reckon the thin cardboard backing will be useless after one damp winter.

In my opinion a total waste of $295

Part of my order from SMS turned up today. When i ordered the trunk kit(Carpet set) i thought it would come as a complete moulded carpet with a second piece to go over the spare tyre.

What arrived was a collection of many many pieces with velcro to stick the many many pieces together. Not impressed at all. Worst of all it looks like a child has used blunt scissors to cut out the pieces and some of the carpet has the thinnest cardboard for backing with the carpet not being glued up to the edge of the cheap thin cardboard. I reckon the thin cardboard backing will be useless after one damp winter.

If you are doing concourse your car would have only have plastic mat and they only came in Grande models. Carpet would not be correct in any model. The speckle paint on the assembled trunk with lights and wires then the stock mat. would be correct.

I bought the same kit for my Mach 1 (even though it's primarily for coupes & 'verts), and I've have used many of the pieces to dress up the trunk. Obviously, not everything will be used (especially not the 'cardboard' - I'm replacing that stuff with masonite), but I was pretty happy with the pieces overall.

No, they're not perfect... nor are they high-end custom pieces, either. But they do look just fine installed underneath the stuff I have in my trunk, though.

I will admit that $295 is a bit steep for what you get. I would think about half that price would be fair.

If you are doing concourse your car would have only have plastic mat and they only came in Grandé models. Carpet would not be correct in any model. The speckle paint on the assembled trunk with lights and wires then the stock mat. would be correct.
+1.

Ray

"In my opinion a total waste of $295" +1 Chuck

"In my opinion a total waste of $295" +1 Chuck
Yeah, but it still looks WAY better than the cheesy plastic picnic tablecloth "trunk mat" offered by Ford. ;)

Granted, it's not anatomically correct for the purists... :whistling:

Bit confused myself. Thought you have been working for originality on your restoration? As noted this would not have been original. I understand if you have changed your plans, it is just a bit confusing.

Bit confused myself. Thought you have been working for originality on your restoration? As noted this would not have been original. I understand if you have changed your plans, it is just a bit confusing.
As i was at the sellers mercy he fed me a line the kit was correct. So i bought it in good faith thinking it was right. I think i will install just to keep the area clean after the spray job and buy the correct item when its time to fit out the interior next year.

Hi Steve,

If you're sticking to an original resto, then it's going to end up being a bare bones look, i'm afraid, as Ford really didn't offer any decent dress trim for the 1,2,3 Mustang trunks. I think that was stingy myself but that's just my opinion.

However, if you wanted to deviate and mod up, then see my trunk make over i did myself. It may give you some help in working out what direction you end up going.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-makeover-project

Cheers,

Greg.:)

As i was at the sellers mercy he fed me a line the kit was correct. So i bought it in good faith thinking it was right. I think i will install just to keep the area clean after the spray job and buy the correct item when its time to fit out the interior next year.
Steve, did you get the door panels and headliner?

I want to know what headliner they sent you for 259.00

And how are the green deluxe door panels they custom made for you

Steve, did you get the door panels and headliner?

I want to know what headliner they sent you for 259.00

And how are the green deluxe door panels they custom made for you
The headliner is a very thick vinyl and appears to be a good quality.

I am still awaiting the door panels. I will post pics when they finally arrive.

Still awaiting the green cloth seat material and windlace

Back