Best Rear drum shoes?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastorpat

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible.
I am building a 9 inch factory rear end. It has 10x2 rear drums. I need to replace the drums and shoes. Who makes a performance shoe? Or if you have experience replacing the back drums with disks. The front has factory power disks.

Thank you for your experience

They make a material that has superior braking I think they are rated at 4.5 where the standard brake shoes are rated around 1.5 or 2. I do not remember the name of this super shoe. I heard about it on wheeler dealer they wanted to keep a clean Volvo original so they added the super brake shoes that gave them near disk brake preformance. Wish I knew more but you should be able to do a google search and come up with this super grip compound.

Good Luck

Hi Pastorpat,

I just converted my front brakes from drum to disc but was happy to keep the rears as drum. I did run the BHK2 brake hardware kit from CJP though the drums successfully without taking an eye out and replaced the shoes with Raybestos 151PG 'Professional Grade' ;) shoes. The drums were fine and didn't need replacing or machining.

It took some time getting the proportioning valve set right but you won't have this problem as your factory brake combination valve will do it for you.

I've used similar pads for rear drum brakes before and they perform perfectly for lively street use, can't comment on track use.

Cheers...

...Mickus

PastorPat

Master Power Brakes - "Our rear drum upgrade kit utilizes a large 11” drum, all new components and 1” wheel cylinders giving disc brake feel without the expense."

http://www.mpbrakes.com/1971-ford-mustang-rear-drum-brake-legend-series?filter_name=

330cs3q.jpg

Here is my thread on the Master Power Brakes Drum Kit-

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-big-ford-11-inch-brake-kit?highlight=mustang7173

One cost effective solution-

mustang7173

You can spend a lot of money on them, but IMO unless you are racing, then stock is more than adequate. I put new organic linings on the back of my car when I bought it almost 22 ago and they still have over half the life left in them.

The front disc brakes are vastly more important to get working well as they do like 80% of the work.

Back