Correct Spedometer cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
The outter casing on my speedometer cable is pretty rough. I was looking on a couple of websites to purchase a new one but there are differant ones out there and not sure which one is correct for what i want. Can anyone tell me which one is correct for my 1971

Pegleg, after looking at some of the sites I can see where some confusion would set in. Ford listed one for your application. 71 Grande, "H" 351 with FMX was D1ZZ-17290-G, R/B D4FZ-17260-A. Original cable was 61 1/2", the replacement was 67". I would check with Don (OMS) to get an honest opinion on the ones offered now and how close they are to the original as to the length and how well they fit. The same cable was used on some model Pinto's and Maverick's so availability should be good.

Also let me know what you decided on your trunk mat. I may have something to help you with that.

Pegleg, after looking at some of the sites I can see where some confusion would set in. Ford listed one for your application. 71 Grandé, "H" 351 with FMX was D1ZZ-17290-G, R/B D4FZ-17260-A. Original cable was 61 1/2", the replacement was 67". I would check with Don (OMS) to get an honest opinion on the ones offered now and how close they are to the original as to the length and how well they fit. The same cable was used on some model Pinto's and Maverick's so availability should be good.

Also let me know what you decided on your trunk mat. I may have something to help you with that.
Thanks Steve. I will go with whatever was original to the trunk which is not what i have right now

Item #C9ZZ-17260-A

69-70 71-72 SPEEDOMETER CABLE, AUTOMATIC AND 3 SPD

Reproduction of original - Not a generic replacement. Includes the correct rubber firewall grommet on the cable. Cable is 63 inches long.

Back