My car made it into Muscle Machines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! Nice Article - Congratulations! ::thumb::

::congrats::

Great story! Thanks for posting it up.

Reminds me so much of the history with my 72...still own it along with a couple of different 385's I ran in it back in the day.

I'm curious about something...this is an original SCJ car...but you mentioned buying a set of ported D0VE heads....was the car faster with the D0VE heads than with the D0OE-R heads?

Thanks,

BT

Great story! Thanks for posting it up.

Reminds me so much of the history with my 72...still own it along with a couple of different 385's I ran in it back in the day.

I'm curious about something...this is an original SCJ car...but you mentioned buying a set of ported D0VE heads....was the car faster with the D0VE heads than with the D0OE-R heads?

Thanks,

BT
Thanks!

The D0VE-Cs (smaller ports and valves, closed chamber) are the hot setup for the strip in a 29. The D0OE-R ports and valves are actually *too big* (NASCAR influence). Smaller intake ports increase intake velocity which pushes the power curve down - and low-end torque way up - in the RPM range which is what you need for 1/4 and 1/8 mile runs. The R heads are better suited for displacements of 460 and beyond that have beefy enough rotating assemblies to wind tight.

The Sig Erson cam profile we ran for a while (and is in the car now) was short duration, high lift (292, .600) for the same reason. Squeeze some low end out of it.

Great that you are keeping another beast on the road. Great that you made the Mag.. You are so right on the valve situation on the SCJ. They are only good for flat out same rpm on 2.5 mile track. I have a set of the DOVE heads complete engine from a PI I have had for years. Kept thinking I would build it.

Nice story! Congratulations. Ryan

Back