What did we learn..?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Today I pulled up next to a classic black mid 80s Porsche 911 Carrera. Great looking car! The last "real" 911 in my book.

He looked at my Mustang and when the light turned green he floored the accelerator. I was kinda expecting it so I did the same thing just a second later after I was sure he meant it.

Welp, nice try buddy.

I eased off the throttle after I was one car length ahead of him.

So, what did we learn?

HPis cool but no challenge to torque. :)

I still feel sorry for the guy. Well at least a little. :)

Yeah, that's what I tried with a newer Audi and my engine started dropping haha. Good thing you beat him :)

Have to also admit that I really like those old 911's!

I remember arguing years ago with a guy from Denmark on another forum about how big, bloated, and inefficient our American cars are compared to the vastly more efficient [and superiorly engineered] European vehicles (he drove a BMW, BTW). :chin:

You just made my day. ::thumb::

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE 911s, and pretty much all things Porsche - but this is just awesome-sauce. :D

I wouldnt feel sorry for him:D he should know better, well he will nowlollerz

Good work! He will never doubt one of our cars again!

Well, I know I could never hold my own against a newer car but those Porsches have about the same HP as mine so the Mustang's higher torque rating makes the difference. The 3.8:1 rear might help a little too. :)

Btw, it was mostly the shifting that did him in. Each time he changed gears (manually) he dropped about 2-3 feet back and had to get back to speed again while mine (automatic) just pulled without interruption.

Mike, Chuck Berry tried to tell Maybellene that while she was rollin' along doing about 95 in her Cadillac. "Nothin' will outrun my V8 Ford"! As a musician I figured you would enjoy the reference to an old Chuck Berry song.

Some people just HAVE to be shown! Appreciate your defending our 71-3's honor. :D

Thanks.

It was my second run in with a Porsche from that area.

A few years back during a classic rally I chased a similar car up hill on a winding road through the woods.

The owner later came over asked what I had under the hood as he tried to shake me off but couldn't.

We talked shop for a while which is why I know that the HP ratings are very similar.

And with the modern 18 inch tires on mine I had the grip and handling that allowed me to stay behind him despite the curvy road.

I'm still glad I hat this opportunity today to show that it wasn't a coincidence. :)

Great to hear Mike. Doubt I could beat a 911 in my 302 2 barrel. That's why I got my old Lotus. Still does 0-60 in 5 seconds and will waste most stuff on the road. It beat my Mates 84 Carrera a while back too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently did the same with my wife's Audi Q5 3.0T and a newer Mustang GT. Blew him in the weeds with the little x-over. I am sure he was a bit surprised.

Hey Mike,

Not only did you beat him but I imagine you looked cooler too!

...Mickus
Haha! Well the other guy sure didn't think so because he looked like he considered himself a top graduate from the Steve McQueen academy of koolness! Well, at least until he'd got a good look at my rear bumper. After that... not so much. :)

I had my wife with me btw to help me look cool. You might say it was a team effort. :)

Oh and on a more serious note: yes, discussing road racing goes against forum rules.

Point is: this wasn't road racing! Just a small battle of classics without going over the speed limit and no burning rubber or anything.

There were no bystanders, no cars in front of us and no inappropriate behavior. Only two cars getting off the green light a little faster than usual.

Btw, there is no "reckless driving" rule in Europe. Hah!! Take that, USA!! :p

Back