Fuel Line location and fuel filter types

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
In checking the carburator I noticed that there wasn't a fuel filter installed. Strange. My questions are:

1. Can any size or type inline filter be used?

2. Does the fuel line run on the alternator side of the engine as you can see in the picture? If not where should it run and can you bend the fuel line pretty easy without rupture the line?

Carb4.jpg

There is a factory fuel filter on the fuel sender located in the fuel tank, but more is always better.

1. Can any size or type inline filter be used?

As long as the fuel filter input and output match the hose size your are using its fine. pretty much 90% of the fuel filters will be fine.

stay away from glass filters they can be dangerous. I use a inline aluminum canister fuel filter right before the Fuel pump inlet from the fuel tank where the fuel line comes from the engine bay apron to the fuel pump.

2. Does the fuel line run on the alternator side of the engine as you can see in the picture? If not where should it run and can you bend the fuel line pretty easy without rupture the line?

I've seen cars that have it either on the left or the right, I'm not sure if it depended upon a A/C car or not.

my car the fuel line goes from the fuel pump to the Right side(alternator side) because i have a A/C compressor on the left side.

I know when i tried to order a replacement fuel line it was shorter and wanted to go to the left side where the A/C compressor is, it was impossible to use that fuel line. I went back to what i believe is the original 351-2V with A/C fuel line which goes to the alternator(right) side. i've seen cars that have them on either side but i'm not sure if original A/C cars had the line going to the alternator side or not. Personally i like the fuel line on the Alternator side because its easy to hook it up to an aftermarket Carb and gives me clearance for the coil mount on the left side(a/c pulley)

Hi, I have the glass fuel filter. Why are they dangerous? Just curious,never had issues in one year.

Thanks,

I've been using the glass filter about 6 years without any problems with breakage or leaking. Since I have replaced the fuel tank and pump I'm not seeing any more debris, so I am thinking about removing and just leaving the stock filter at the carb. The glass is very thick, so I think it would be hard to break, but probably better safe than sorry.

DSCF4731.jpg

glass filters have gained a reputation for being dangerous, due to cracks, or not sealing correctly they can leak.

if an engine fire breaks out, there is a chance for the glass to explode and set the main line on fire.

they are banned at local tracks, and some shows in my area have banned them due to insurance risk.

personally I've never used one, i've heard stories good and bad, i think for a short term diagnostic look at the fuel system they are a good idea, but after the problem has been corrected a different one piece fuel filter should be used in its place.

"if an engine fire breaks out, there is a chance for the glass to explode and set the main line on fire."

And a filter with a plastic housing attached to a rubber line is immune to combustion, clearly.

i never mentioned plastic.

i can tell you a story relayed to me about a guy that used a pyrex plastic filter which cracked due to engine heat and began leaking.

personally i use a aluminum one piece filter.

use whatever you feel comfortable using.

Can post an image of your filter? I don't want to take any chances loosing my car. Thanks

Fuel is pretty stable and its takes a little more then it leaking for it to suddenly combust.

I'm sure many of us have discovered the wonders of a leaking holley fuel bowl with a puddle of gas sitting within the intake risers or an accelerator pump springing a leak.

I use a filter like this

EDL8135-C.jpg

and its installed right before the fuel pump where the fuel line comes through the apron.

i think a lot of problems with regards to 2 piece fuel filters causing fires is people cross threading the bowls and creating a small leak. most people also install the filter in a place that is easy to see and service so its usually sitting somewhere on top of the engine, should a leak start it will eventually run down the motor increasing the combustion possibility as the gas vaporizes over the hot engine.

My fuel line comes up on the left side of the engine. I have factory AC. The fuel line looks to be original.

Hey... just was thinking... if we go to factory originality... is there an inline fuel filter in the engine bay??...

I know that a small fuel filter should be attached to the carb (i dont have it) but between the hard line and the fuel pump, an inline fuel filter is the original way to go?

If it is... which one and where to attach it?

from the factory the cars just had the fuel filter located inside the fuel tank on the sender unit, its playfully called 'the Sock'.

glass filters have gained a reputation for being dangerous, due to cracks, or not sealing correctly they can leak.

if an engine fire breaks out, there is a chance for the glass to explode and set the main line on fire.

they are banned at local tracks, and some shows in my area have banned them due to insurance risk.

personally I've never used one, i've heard stories good and bad, i think for a short term diagnostic look at the fuel system they are a good idea, but after the problem has been corrected a different one piece fuel filter should be used in its place.
After reading this thread, I am removing the glass filter located just before the carb. After a year of use the filter changed in color from white to a very light tan and no debris. So, as you said, the filter has done its job. My tank and lines are clean and the filter just before the fuel pump is doing its job.

mike

Technically speaking, Gasoline itself doesnt catch fire, its the fumes.

Take a bucket full of gas, sit it on the ground.

Take 10 matches, light and throw them at the bucket.

The gasoline will not light until the 10th match is thrown.

Why? By that time the vapors have escaped and can catch fire.

Technically speaking, Gasoline itself doesnt catch fire, its the fumes.

Take a bucket full of gas, sit it on the ground.

Take 10 matches, light and throw them at the bucket.

The gasoline will not light until the 10th match is thrown.

Why? By that time the vapors have escaped and can catch fire.
The first part is true and I will take your word for the second part:s

Back