'71 429cj Mustang convertible engine rebuild...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pastel Blue, because of the large number of 429's in my Ford gearhead group, that engine has always had a special place in my heart. To me, that picture is a frameable piece of art! Well done!! ::thumb::

I just noticed something. Is your coil installed backwards?

Looks like a beautiful engine! I hope to have mine looking that nice one day......
This is at the machine shop, they put it on like this for the upcoming initial engine start-up (after the complete rebuild), that will take place soon. The engine as seen here is not yet set up to factory "look" specs... Good eye though...

One for show and one for cruise nights?
Close enough. MCA and other like minded high level show organizations would/might deduct for having the lid with the 429 sticker on it. All dependent upon what class the car is judged in and the judge themselves. The car did not come with the sticker from the factory, so I ordered a nicely done repop lid from Semo Mustang and will apply the sticker on this. I may use this lid for shows where the majority of people would not know what engine is in the car by just looking at it...

Good catch.

Yep, it amazing me how little is known by the general Mustang population about the 71 429CJ Mustangs. I guess to be fair 71-73 Mustangs aren't too common at shows anymore and 429's are like hen's teeth.

I really wish we had a more active registry like many of the other cars I own.

Yep, it amazing me how little is known by the general Mustang population about the 71 429CJ Mustangs. I guess to be fair 71-73 Mustangs aren't too common at shows anymore and 429's are like hen's teeth.

I really wish we had a more active registry like many of the other cars I own.
The 71 429 Forum started In the early 90's was a really good group dedicated to the BB '71 Mustangs and Cougars. It stopped being really active in the early to mid 2000's. There is a registery for the '71 429 Mustangs but the curator has never actively promoted it to the point of having member owner discussions. The last I heard about it, there was approx 300 of these cars in his registry. That was 15 yrs ago or so.

Ironically I just sent Scotty info on my car a few hours ago. I've traded a few emails with him but it sounds like the registry is kind of dormant right now which is really too bad.

Maybe things will change......

It was like this back in the early 90's, has never changed, I have not been bothered to send him mine for the vert...

I was watching a video on youtube the other night and it had shots of them painting the engines. Took about 10 seconds, lol.

Not sure what the 71 had as far as inspection marks but the 73 had several that were maybe 1/2" dia circles, line through the middle with a number and initial of the inspector, rubber stamps in yellow. Were on both heads up front. Been so long I don't recall all of them. In the video it said each engine was ran for 10 min. in what they called the hot room.

Back