71 Mustang question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
Guys,

Was just shopping on ebay and came across this 71 Mach 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351896159885?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Although there are lots of things wrong with the car one thing that really stood out to me was the fact that there aren't any hood pins on this car. Was it possible to get a Mach 1 without hood pins or do you think this car was in a front collision and had the hood and radiator support replaced?

I'm not interested in the car but was just curious about the hood pins.

mwilson7, Overall that's a nice looking J code Mach1. Like you mentioned, I see a lot of little things that I shouldn't be able to see on a company offered car they want $40,000.00 plus a $489.00 "Dealer" fee!

Since you own one of these beasts you already know about the two tone hood treatment. Since it is a "J" code and came standard with ram air, it should have the twist style hood locks along with the black out.

Sure be nice to find out why they are missing. Fender bender with a little damage and a hood replacement, or was the whole front end wiped out?

yes it is a nice car... i see a few things that i feel should not be there.. a 34k mileage car for that price should be flawless. looks like it's had a repaint by looking at door sticker.. run hard put away wet.. and i'm also questioning the dealers fee.. price at like 28-to 30k is more likely.

Looks like a frankenstein to me. Shifter, back seat upholstery, overspray, wrong hood, sloppy panel gaps, etc, etc.

Took another look at this 40K offering and will have to change my mind and side with delawarebill on this one. I believe "Rode Hard and put Away Wet" is a pretty good summation. 5R is the trim code for a Mach1 Sport Interior in GREEN, which this interior clearly is not. Also has a very poor fitting standard rear seat. Missing knobs, dash center trim bezel has vents (non AC car) and a lot of other things that are apparent on this second look. Spare tire bracket and brackets that hold the bumpers for the "Trap Door" support are missing in the trunk area. (No indication of the optional fold down rear seat on the Marti report although this car has one) All this would really make me go over the detail wrong engine compartment and check that 429 with a fine toothed comb. After all that's the only thing that would qualify it to bring the "Big" money is the "J" code engine. After seeing the workmanship on the car I would sure check to make sure that CJ wasn't actually a run of the mill 429 Thunderjet from a standard Ford model. And....at 40K, come on, at least throw on some chrome tips in stead of those turn down pipes sticking out from the cutouts on the rear valence!

OK..I'm done! :whistling:

Guys,

Was just shopping on ebay and came across this 71 Mach 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351896159885?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Although there are lots of things wrong with the car one thing that really stood out to me was the fact that there aren't any hood pins on this car. Was it possible to get a Mach 1 without hood pins or do you think this car was in a front collision and had the hood and radiator support replaced?

I'm not interested in the car but was just curious about the hood pins.
It is possible and even "Likely" that a Mach 1 came without hood pins. In fact I think the hood pins only came on Ram-Air cars, which was a fairly rare option before all the reproduction items came out. I believe they actually had a functional purpose too.

When the scooped hoods are run with the block-off plates in the hood thee is much less up-force on the forward hood latch. With the scoops open for Ram-Air, the additional hood pins help reduce the load on the primary latch.

I base my theory on the following 2 cases, both back in the 1980's:

1) A friend of mine with a beautiful dark green 72 Mach always ran with his scoops open(no ram air, no block-off plates) While on the highway one night, the hood latch let loose, his hood flew open at 70MPH, burying the back into the cowl and windshield as the hood hinges bent too. THis was a sad day as there were no reproduction ram-air hoods at the time.

2) When I was in the process of repainting my car in high school, I ran with the ram air and no hood pins as I did bodywork on the front of the hood. I fan the car up and down the highway for a few weeks to see my girlfriend. (Yes, guys dated girls back then.) One night I noticed the hood appearing to lift as I drove down the highway. I pulled over to find that the lower attachment brackets for the hood latch had torn away from the core support. I put the twist locks back in and never had a problem.

I could be wrong, but I am an engineer...

kcmash

Yes priced too high, but if the engine is legit you could possibly make a case for the price, or maybe just a little less. Back in the day most of them were rode hard and put away wet. heh I have a '71 Mach 1 J code 4 speed (my avatar pic) and Hagerty condition 3 is $37,800 at present, and condition 2 is $63,700. They also quote -5% for automatic. I have a crack in my radiator fan shroud just like this one. I see that fairly often and I think back when these were just daily drivers, people might lean over the front to reach something and crack the fan shroud. Just a theory. Lots of what looks like body shop dust all over the interior- couldn't they clean it up better? No rubber seal around the air cleaner assembly. No vacuum hoses to the actuators for the hood scoops. No dome light. No speakers in the door panels so this was probably an AM radio car to begin with. What is that silver trim along the bottom of the dash and up the sides? No metal trim pieces in the front seat backs- common when the upholstery has been replaced. I'm not sure what to make of that milk or iced tea jug under the hood! Most of this won't matter to someone just looking for a big block Mustang that isn't aware of all the little details. Pricing on pre-1971 Mustang big blocks is through the roof, and 1971 429 cars are generally priced lower but they're rising.

Back