Replacing a 73 front bumper with a 71 or 72

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1. 1973 Mach 1 with an original 71 429 CJ engine
C6 tranny

2. 1973 Mach 1 with original 351 Q-Code
C6 tranny
I am looking to replace my 73 Mach 1's front urethane bumper with a 71 or 72 bumper----what is all required? I have new 73 front quarter panels and the rest is stock.

Not sure what a front quarter panel is.. Do you mean "fenders"?

Nothing will fit properly not made even similar. Fenders different, fender extensions, grill, bumper mounts, valance, etc, etc. Would be much easier to go with 73 bumper and all were urethane no chrome. Had to do the 5 mph crash without breaking the headlights was the test then, lol.

Anything can be done but will not look right and will take some work.

I thought that they looked quite different----I have a friend with two donor cars that I have been using some parts off (one a 71 and the other a 72) and the fronts are different that the 73. Thanks for the confirmation.

I did this on mine. (Look avatar). The diff in height on extensions is there, but it also exist on the grille.

What i did is remove the rectangular brackets tubes, and replace by 71-72 ones. On these, you need to cut the lip bellow for like 20 cms, so it can rest on the body frame and enlarge/relocate the first hole to reuse the bigger 73 bolts. The bumper itself will be like 2cms lower to body than on 71-72 and be rotated 2 to 4 degrees. To me, it looks far more better than the massive plastic piece that kinda ruin the line. There is some visible space that then appears between grille and bumper, as the grille is unlike previous years very thin, that could be filled to look nicer. Say, something like the plate between rear bumper and body on 73.

Back