Center Console Map Light Clone with LED

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Coupe 351c
Hey Guys (And Gals)

I was lucky to get an original Map Light from a member here for cheap.

Instead of installing it and be done I decided to clone it and make it

available to anyone who would like a clone.

The ML is made of .125 ABS with camera case finish which is slightly thicker than the original but I tried to keep the

dimensions the same as the original within reason.

The clone uses the repop lens available from OMS and others

and uses a T10 LED and socket.

The original I got was slightly too wide to fit in my car with a repop dash pad so I made that dimension slightly smaller.

To accommodate the LED socket the clone is slightly taller than the original with no fitment issues.

The prototype needs the switch mounted and will be finished tomorrow

and will be sent to 73 Pony for fitment and review.

Unfinished Prototype Photos:

opa1u.jpg

rap2te.jpg

I have a larger investment in this than I thought I would and need to to know the interest level before I order more parts and material?

I will sell them for 79.00 delivered to US via paypal through this site or ebay

with returns available.

Thanks Everyone

Regards

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point.

Running it on a half dead 9V it's not bad I could find my ign key Ok and it lights up

the center area. I doubt it's as bright as the incandescent bulb like the original.

The original I have doesn't work so I cant compare.

I should add that the switch I install will be three position {off } / {on + bat} / {on + bat switched}. For

those without the wiring conveinince group that want to connect it to + bat will be able to shut it off which is not an option on the original.

Night Photo with my phone;

2819e1y.jpg

Thanks

Paul

Well done Paul,

It's really great that you would think of the benefit of your fellow '71'73 Mustang brothers and sisters and come to the rescue with a viable retro alternative to the non available 1,2,3 map light. 10 OUT OF 10 Sir!::thumb::::thumb:: I hope you get a good response from the Forum for all your trouble, because i got a rather poor response regards anyone approaching me to take up my power mirrors invention for themselves.:-/

BTW - What did you have in mind for a workable switch setup for the map light?

I would happily buy your finished working product, but i already have working original map lights in both my '73 Mustangs.

Greg.:)

Well done Paul,

It's really great that you would think of the benefit of your fellow '71'73 Mustang brothers and sisters and come to the rescue with a viable retro alternative to the non available 1,2,3 map light. 10 OUT OF 10 Sir!::thumb::::thumb:: I hope you get a good response from the Forum for all your trouble, because i got a rather poor response regards anyone approaching me to take up my power mirrors invention for themselves.:-/

BTW - What did you have in mind for a workable switch setup for the map light?

I would happily buy your finished working product, but i already have working original map lights in both my '73 Mustangs.

Greg.:)
Yes Sir I understand!

Your power side mirror tutorial is off the charts awesome!

I'm not sure how many people can pull that off with the garage tools they have. (wish I had a garage)

The original switch is (on) (on) type. My switch will be (off)(on)(on) for those that want to wire it with only + bat. Hope that makes sense.

I've read that only convenience group cars have the plug for the map light.

Thanks

Paul

Cant wait to get it installed. I will get plenty of pics and post them on this thread. I plan to hook it up to use all three switch functions. Off - On - On. So I can switch it to come on when opening the door, on all the time, or off all the time.

Hey Guys (And Gals)

I was lucky to get an original Map Light from a member here for cheap.

Instead of installing it and be done I decided to clone it and make it

available to anyone who would like a clone.

The ML is made of .125 ABS with camera case finish which is slightly thicker than the original but I tried to keep the

dimensions the same as the original within reason.

The clone uses the repop lens available from OMS and others

and uses a T10 LED and socket.

The original I got was slightly too wide to fit in my car with a repop dash pad so I made that dimension slightly smaller.  

To accommodate the LED socket the clone is slightly taller than the original with no fitment issues.

The prototype needs the switch mounted and will be finished tomorrow

and will be sent to 73 Pony for fitment and review.

Unfinished Prototype Photos:

opa1u.jpg

rap2te.jpg

I have a larger investment in this than I thought I would and need to to know the interest level before I order more parts and material?

I will sell them for 79.00 delivered to US via paypal through this site or ebay

with returns available.

Thanks Everyone

Regards

Paul

Back