Windshield replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Womack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
302 V8
future Grabber Lime
I had a local guy here do mine. He does all cars but specializes in classics. He wasn't listed on the web. I got his name from a local body shop. Not sure where he got the glass but fit perfect. He guarantees it isn't from China etc. otherwise he won't do it if that's all that's available. Maybe try a couple of local body shops and see if there is someone they use.

Worst case you can do yourself. There should be several posts on the Forum about the subject. Since your old one is not good that takes one of the touch things out. You can got to Harbor Freight and get the tool to cut the old one out and also to remove the trim. Be sure you watch a video on the trim removal. You can order the 3-M adhesive in a roll to put it back in with. Not rocket science but you do need a helper to be safe.

You will probably find more sins when you do remove the old. Leaves and junk get under the bottom edge where there is a pocket and will rust out the upper cowl area. Also around the two bottom corners of the pocket the windshield sits in hold water and rust. You probably need to spend some time cleaning and sealing up with the old windshield out. Just go easy on the trim I don-t think they repo it and if they did it would not fit.

I bought PPG locally and removed their logo prior to installing. Had a Carlite stamp made by Office Depot. Installed it myself. After removing the old one, nothing is difficult.

Just go easy on the trim I don-t think they repo it and if they did it would not fit.
Bummer about Safelite - they installed mine with no hassles, and the guy actually managed to not mess up the repop trim I ordered. He actually liked working with the older cars and really knew his stuff.

Now, the backlight was a different story. Everything would've gone well, had the new gasket not been as fat as it was. There was some unwanted tweaking of the backlight trim, but it's not horrible enough to worry about. If I decide to get new trim, I'll just glue it in next time.

Just go easy on the trim I don-t think they repo it and if they did it would not fit.
Bummer about Safelite - they installed mine with no hassles, and the guy actually managed to not mess up the repop trim I ordered. He actually liked working with the older cars and really knew his stuff.

Now, the backlight was a different story. Everything would've gone well, had the new gasket not been as fat as it was. There was some unwanted tweaking of the backlight trim, but it's not horrible enough to worry about. If I decide to get new trim, I'll just glue it in next time.
Yes, I was surprised when they turned away business. They did do my windshield previously but that was back in the 90's :)

Back